New FF3 icons preview - don't like it at all :-(

Lars-Erik Østerud

Dec 15, 2007, 11:20:21 AM12/15/07
Anyone else hate these new icons and want to keep it as in 2.0?

Use the comment-feature on these pages and let them now...

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/12/firefox-3-icons-preview/

http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007/11/15/the-shape-of-things-to-come/

--
Lars-Erik - http://www.osterud.name - ICQ 7297605
My Firefox tweaks: http://osterud.name/firefox.html

Chris Ilias

Dec 15, 2007, 2:41:32 PM12/15/07
On 12/15/07 11:20 AM, _Lars-Erik Řsterud_ spoke thusly:

> Anyone else hate these new icons and want to keep it as in 2.0?
>
> Use the comment-feature on these pages and let them now...
>
> http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/12/firefox-3-icons-preview/
>
> http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007/11/15/the-shape-of-things-to-come/

Actually, that's not Alex's latest post on the subject. This is:
http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007/12/13/a-first-look-at-firefox-3s-icons/

And as it says, he has started a thread in mozilla.dev.apps.firefox for
people to voice their feedback.

--
Chris Ilias <http://ilias.ca>

Universe_JDJ

Dec 15, 2007, 9:43:48 PM12/15/07
Lars-Erik Řsterud wrote:
> Anyone else hate these new icons and want to keep it as in 2.0?
>
> Use the comment-feature on these pages and let them now...
>
> http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2007/12/firefox-3-icons-preview/
>
> http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007/11/15/the-shape-of-things-to-come/

The first link icon's look horrible.

Scott Reynolds

Dec 16, 2007, 8:02:41 PM12/16/07
Lars-Erik Řsterud wrote:

> Anyone else hate these new icons and want to keep it as in 2.0?

I'm sure someone will create a theme that makes 3.0 look just like 2.0.
You could also use one of the many other themes available.

Personally, I rather like the new look. I also think it is important
that the new version of Firefox have a fresh appearance. Otherwise there
will be endless gripes about this not being a real upgrade, not having
significant enough changes to warrant a higher version number, etc.

In terms of marketing it is necessary that Firefox 3 look different from
Firefox 2. But of course that does not prevent individual users from
using a different theme.

Scott Reynolds scot...@gmail.com

John Liebson

Dec 16, 2007, 8:19:45 PM12/16/07
On 16/12/2007 18:02, Scott Reynolds wrote:

> Lars-Erik Řsterud wrote:
>
>> Anyone else hate these new icons and want to keep it as in 2.0?
>
> I'm sure someone will create a theme that makes 3.0 look just like 2.0.
> You could also use one of the many other themes available.
>
> Personally, I rather like the new look. I also think it is important
> that the new version of Firefox have a fresh appearance. Otherwise there
> will be endless gripes about this not being a real upgrade, not having
> significant enough changes to warrant a higher version number, etc.
>
> In terms of marketing it is necessary that Firefox 3 look different from
> Firefox 2. But of course that does not prevent individual users from
> using a different theme.

Case in point: I'm using one of Alfred Kayser's themes with Minefield
3.0b3pre nightly releases, and there are some others, according to this
link :

Frankly, I find the panic over the FF3 default theme to be nothing but a
repeat of the panic over earlier FF release themes, and to be at least
partially meaningless. Only "partially," as the theme is clearly part of
the marketing and the appeal of FF to many users; at the same time, what
is a "good theme" to one person is an abomination to another.

/Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent/ - Other people's things are
more pleasing to us, and ours to other people. (Publilius Syrus)

--
John Liebson

David McRitchie

Dec 17, 2007, 12:07:03 AM12/17/07
"Scott Reynolds" <scot...@gmail.com> wrote in message news:t4mdnYvM66goV_ja...@mozilla.org...

> Lars-Erik Østerud wrote:
>
>> Anyone else hate these new icons and want to keep it as in 2.0?
>
> I'm sure someone will create a theme that makes 3.0 look just like 2.0. You could also use one of the many other themes available.
>
> Personally, I rather like the new look. I also think it is important that the new version of Firefox have a fresh appearance.
> Otherwise there will be endless gripes about this not being a real upgrade, not having significant enough changes to warrant a
> higher version number, etc.
>
> In terms of marketing it is necessary that Firefox 3 look different from Firefox 2. But of course that does not prevent individual
> users from using a different theme.

I left comments at the two links, one showed up for awhile waiting on
moderation, the other never showed up at all, both now show no evidence
that I'd left a comment. So I'll say here how I really feel here, and I was
lot more restrained there. The whole effort to change the appearance
should be thrown in the trash can despite lots of (misguided) effort that
went into it.

I dislike the space wasting stylized icons, especially the enormous size.
Quite the opposite of my goals as seen in (did not show the link there but will here)
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/firefox/tabs.htm#userchrome

The new icons look too much like each other, so don't distinguish
functions well at all.

I disagree that user themes are the answer, or that it is good marketing.
User themes do not work in Safe Mode, new profiles, or new versions of FF.
You want something that works for sure and doesn't make you puke.

The US companies with the stylized cars of the 50's and 60's are basically
kaput. Replaced by cars that retain their looks. I would rather Firefox
look closer to it's classic appearance which is closer to that of other
browsers (except IE7) than to the operating system, but the Fx2
Firefox logo does look too close to Opera's, and the new FF3 icons look
too much like IE7 which made horrible changes to the appearance that
I can't stand to use it for tabbed browsing because of the empty looking
tab that is actually a new tab button and can't be moved, like would you
like Excel to show an empty tab to create a new tab (absurd). What I think
of the IE appearance is shown in
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/vista/vista.htm#ie

Actually the trash can would not be the best place for the new theme,
I expect that it could be used to document how to make a theme to help
others make their own themes, but I certainly don't want it as the default theme,
now or ever.

--
HTH,
David McRitchie,