Re: [mozillians] [Reps-General] Words from a Mozillian

April Morone

Sep 30, 2014, 9:21:42 PM9/30/14
to Ken Jones, community-india, Dicky Moe, mitchell, cbeard, mozillians, Robert Nyman, Community Evangelist Mailing List, william, webapps, webm...@lists.mozilla.org, Lawrence Kisuuki, Reps Mailing List, community-uk, community-belgium, community-greece, Community List MozComUg, community-bangladesh, governance, dev-l10n
Ken,
As a fellow Mozillian who is also disabled of physical disabilities as
my body, too, falls apart, I can relate to what you are going through.
Besides my legal blindness and loss of some hearing over the long
years, plus light level of autism and depression, I have tremours,
now, sometimes I labour to breathe (not just from asthma), have
seisures, have spinal problems and functionality problems from
neuromuscular problems. I relate. Yet, I know that I can contribute
to Mozilla despite these disabilities, as can others who are disabled,
as well. Ironically, I was about to put up a MozillaWiki page for
disabled contributors that could hopefully answer many questions you
and others might have about cntributing for Mozilla and about how
Mozilla really does accept contributors who also have different
abilities (aka, before, as "disabilities"). I am a volunteer admin
for the Mozilla Contributors group on Facebook, Google+, and on IRC
chat, and I help give code and Web Development advise to others on
ask.mozilla.org and dev-mozilla extensions forum when I can do so as
health allows. And I am ceating apps (one, revisiing of an app I did
a while back) since software development and Web Development are my
specialities. I am among many who are fluent in different languages.
And, I understand most Web Development terms even if the documentation
could at times be a little difficult at first to understand as I am a
very visual learner, (sometimes auditorally, as well, but mainly
visual of learner). But, the terms I get. The other type of terms I
think I understand, as well, to which you might have referenced within
your post, herein. You are not alone in your concernes (I have heard
from others who have statd some of your same concernes, as well).
But, as someone else had also stated earlier in this thread of posts,
funding isn't as easy to come by to host events as one might think. I
used to head a church budgeting commitee, as well as a residents'
council, where budget was discussed. And my father was a CPA (a
certified public accountant) at one time in his life for many, many
years for businesses. So, I got to learn the ways of how budgeting is
done for businesses, often times. I get it (I understand how
budgeting is done). And I understand why it is done certain ways, as
well. There is NO (bold letters, here, also used for emphasis, NOT
for "cyberyelling") exclusion, per se, as people might think, nor is
there exclusion of a certain ways by staff to/of contributors other
than the basic stuff such as the fact of that category of
"contributors" and "paid staff" however it is actually worded in files
about this. You have paid Web Developers, it seems, as well as
volunteer Web Developers (such as myself and others) who also
contribute our time as we can do so. If you'd like to do so, please
come on into the Mozilla Contributors group on Facebook and on IRC to
talk in more detail about this and about contributing, in general. Oh,
and by the way, I go by my real name in group, there, and now in most
sites by Mozilla. So, if you want to associate with me, you can do so
by my real name (my identity is not hidden at all).
Fellow Mozillian,
April Morone

My website I've built via code: http://howtobuildwebsitesviacode.com/