"Warning" added to my Fetch documentation

Chris Mills

Mar 17, 2015, 4:57:40 AM3/17/15
to dev-webapi
Hi there,

Someone with the username “substack” just added a warning note to my Fetch documentation:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Fetch_API/Using_Fetch#Warning

it reads

“This work is already at odds with the progress being made on the streams working group and is likely to be deprecated or completely changed in the future since the fetch API does not expose chunks as they arrive and instead buffers up the whole response in a promise. The fetch API also cannot cancel events, which the XHR interface provides."

Can anyone comment on this?

It sounds to me like the two specs have slightly different use cases, e.g. not everything requires chunking/streaming, but I am sure someone on here can give me a far more knowledgeable response.

I just feel that, if this warning does contain legitimate concerns, we should probably add a section to answer them and explain why both specs are needed.

best regards,

Chris Mills
Senior tech writer || Mozilla
developer.mozilla.org || MDN
cmi...@mozilla.com || @chrisdavidmills

Anne van Kesteren

Mar 17, 2015, 5:09:01 AM3/17/15
to Chris Mills, dev-webapi
On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Chris Mills <cmi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Can anyone comment on this?

I recommend removing the warning.

https://github.com/yutakahirano/fetch-with-streams/ is how we'll
likely integrate streams into fetch(). Streams are basically a more
fine-grained way to expose the request and response body within the
Fetch API. The Fetch API has been designed with streams arriving at
some future date in mind.

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/

Anne van Kesteren

Mar 17, 2015, 5:12:13 AM3/17/15
to Chris Mills, dev-webapi
On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Chris Mills <cmi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Someone with the username “substack” just added a warning note to my Fetch documentation:

Seems like that would be this person:

https://twitter.com/substack/status/577749029523599361

--
https://annevankesteren.nl/

Chris Mills

Mar 17, 2015, 5:18:26 AM3/17/15
to Anne van Kesteren, dev-webapi

> On 17 Mar 2015, at 09:10, Anne van Kesteren <ann...@annevk.nl> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 9:57 AM, Chris Mills <cmi...@mozilla.com> wrote:
>> Someone with the username “substack” just added a warning note to my Fetch documentation:
>
> Seems like that would be this person:
>
> https://twitter.com/substack/status/577749029523599361

Wow. Someone does feel passionate about the area ;-)

I think i’ll edit his comment to mention the baby steps / stream future plans you’ve already talked about. Simply removing it would just fuel his fire, plus I think it is useful to know about the proposed evolution.

thanks for your help.