Soliciting action items for Mercurial developer sprint

Gregory Szorc

Sep 22, 2017, 12:21:20 PM9/22/17
to dev-version-control
I'll be attending Mercurial's bi-annual developer meet-up ("sprint") next
weekend.

One of my roles is to represent Mozilla's interests and to advocate for
changes that would make Mercurial (and all version control for that matter)
at Mozilla more pleasant. If you would like me to advance a
topic/concern/etc, please let me know before September 29.

The tentative agenda for the sprint is available at
https://www.mercurial-scm.org/wiki/4.4sprint. I anticipate the following
topics dominating discussion:

* Storage and server futures. How do we modify the client and server to
effortlessly enable repositories to scale to tens of millions of changesets
and files. There has been tons of work in 3rd party extensions to prove
viability of various solutions. It is now time to integrate these things
into the core project.
* Oxidation. I'm pretty sure Mercurial will start transitioning from
Python+C to Rust for various functionality - notably lower-level,
performance sensitive code. There are some open questions on how to achieve
this. (If you know of someone with extensive experience doing this, I'd
love to get in touch.)
* Better Windows support. Everything from performance to proper filename
support to testing.
* UI. `hg show`, better native color support, a "restack" concept,
obsolescence/visibility, more friendly config defaults.

I plan to send out a summary of the sprint afterwards. However, since I
will be on holiday immediately following the event, you may not see
anything from me until mid to late October.