Error page: some enhancement

Lord BlackFox

Oct 29, 2011, 8:44:24 PM10/29/11
Hi there,

I was thinking about the error page shown when Firefox can't connect
to the server. If I'm not wrong, it is chrome://global/content/netError.xhtml
; the way is: this page is quiet ugly and unuseful.

First, the design: why not include a logo of Firefox in the background
(a bit like in Chrome). It add some color to the page, but almost
remember people they are using Firefox (this is always a good
marketing strategy).

Second, the might be useful stuffs to add, like a search on the
entered domain address on the preferred search engine, or showing some
research suggestions.

I know there are some addons which has done a lot of work on this
(look at errorzilla), but a bit more useful stuffs without addons
could be nice for the mainstream, no?
What do you think?

Blair McBride

Oct 30, 2011, 8:13:29 PM10/30/11
to dev-us...@lists.mozilla.org
On 30/10/2011 1:44 p.m., Lord BlackFox wrote:
> this page is quiet ugly

I'm working on improving this in bug 676795 (although progress has
temporarily stalled while I complete another project).

See a couple of the mockups here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=562801
http://cl.ly/003d1L272z0p3G0b0s10

The style change also applies to certificate errors, safebrowsing
errors, the private browsing page, session restore, and a bunch of other
things (it's a surprisingly large list).

My work only affects the visual appearance, however.

A couple of years ago, there was an experiment to integrate herdict.org
into the error pages. Herdict is a crowd-sourcing way of finding out if
a website is down, or if it's just you (or the country you're in) that
can't load it. I don't know why that ultimately didn't get into Firefox;
Boriss will know more.
See https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Projects/Herdict

- Blair

Lord BlackFox

Nov 1, 2011, 6:15:57 AM11/1/11
> I'm working on improving this in bug 676795 (although progress has
> temporarily stalled while I complete another project).
>
> See a couple of the mockups here:https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=562801http://cl.ly/003d1L272z0p3G0b0s10

That looks a nice work. I'll try work a bit on this too when I'll get
the time. Have you published some source code?

Blair McBride

Nov 1, 2011, 9:19:43 PM11/1/11
to dev-us...@lists.mozilla.org
On 1/11/2011 11:15 p.m., Lord BlackFox wrote:
> Have you published some source code?

Not yet, I need to do some more work on it first.

- Blair