"New action" or similar name instead of "New tab"?

63 views
Skip to first unread message

Francisco

unread,
Aug 21, 2011, 5:46:20 PM8/21/11
to
I've thinking if would be a good idea change the denomination of the "New tab":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ftosete/6066330615/

for something as:

- "New action"

When the user create a new tab and type an URL in the Awesome Bar get a web site, an app or similar.

Pro:
"New tab" evokes in the mind of the user the metaphor of a folder with tabs while "New action" evokes the idea of "next step".

Cons:
The change is important because it impacts directly on the user's mental model.

is correct the current model? Is correct the name of "Tab" to denominate an "information space"?

At present this model is centered in the concept of "Tabs". Is "Tab" a good name to evoke a concept of "information space" (site, web app) or in the future the results of an "action"--> search...

With Panorama user groups tabs.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ftosete/6066583197/

If the denomination of "New tab" is changed to "New action" the connection between the tabs and Panorama is not obvious.

Opinions about all of this?

André Neves

unread,
Aug 22, 2011, 3:23:35 AM8/22/11
to FF Usability
On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 11:46 PM, Francisco <tos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've thinking if would be a good idea change the denomination of the "New tab":

I think using a "new action" label to something that actually creates
a new *tab* would be very confusing.
Unless you are you proposing to change the name of "tabs" to "actions"?

Did I misunderstand?

Francisco

unread,
Aug 24, 2011, 5:41:59 PM8/24/11
to

Something like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ftosete/6077348971/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ftosete/6077861654/in/photostream

yes, I know that sounds like a crazy idea but I think it's an
interesting idea and more with the Awesome Bar HD:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ftosete/6077950494/in/photostream

clay

unread,
Aug 24, 2011, 10:02:53 PM8/24/11
to
On 08/21/2011 2:46 PM, Francisco wrote:
> I've thinking if would be a good idea change the denomination of the "New tab":
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ftosete/6066330615/
>
> for something as:
>
> - "New action"...

As opposed to the old "(Untitled)" Tab name?
...which is generic and timeless.

"New bla" is only 'new' the moment one opens it. After that it's just a
placeholder for future information.

I'm curious why one would put effort into finding new words to fill a
space that is only temporary and basically describes the obvious.

(When I first noticed it (in v5?) I did get a chuckle out of seeing that
someone felt it necessary to change the text on an unused tab. Kudos
though, for not changing it to an icon!)

Want to have some fun with it, have it open "New Tab", then after 30
seconds, change to "Old Tab", then finally "You ever going to do
something with this Tab you opened?"

Seriously, I appreciate the effort all put into Firefox and admire the
creative thinking that goes into the new features.


Francisco

unread,
Oct 18, 2011, 3:23:58 AM10/18/11
to
On Aug 25, 4:02 am, clay <c...@ymation.com> wrote:
> On 08/21/2011 2:46 PM,Franciscowrote:
As a concept, the label of "Page" is a label more adequate than "Tab".
"Page" evokes an information space, "Tab" not. "Tab" is the container,
not an information space, not the content. As a label "New page" is
best. This is only an example but... this mockup is interesting -->

http://people.mozilla.com/~shorlander/incontent-wizard-old-windows/incontentWizard-windows-01.html

;)

Francisco

unread,
Oct 18, 2011, 3:25:53 AM10/18/11
to

Greywolf

unread,
Oct 18, 2011, 10:04:40 AM10/18/11
to
On 18/10/2011 3:25 AM, Francisco wrote:
[snip musings]
>
> "Page", "Site"...


I disagree. "Tab" is what it looks like, at least to those of us who
still remember file folders, and even occasionally still use them. ;-)

But a basic rule of standards is "Don't change what the users have come
to expect." The fact is that for most of our devices standards are
inherently arbitrary. They have become standards only because of habit,
and decades or centuries of use. Eg. clockwise to drive a screw,
anti-clockwise to extract it. For that matter "clockwise" is an
arbitrary standard.

Once such an arbitrary standard has become habitual, there is very
little if any reason to change it, and many reasons to keep it.

In this case, there's no point in changing what millions of users have
come to expect.

HTH
Wolf K.

The Real Bev

unread,
Oct 20, 2011, 12:19:56 AM10/20/11
to
On 10/18/2011 07:04 AM, Greywolf wrote:

> On 18/10/2011 3:25 AM, Francisco wrote:
> [snip musings]
>>
>> "Page", "Site"...
>
> I disagree. "Tab" is what it looks like, at least to those of us who
> still remember file folders, and even occasionally still use them. ;-)
>
> But a basic rule of standards is "Don't change what the users have come
> to expect." The fact is that for most of our devices standards are
> inherently arbitrary. They have become standards only because of habit,
> and decades or centuries of use. Eg. clockwise to drive a screw,
> anti-clockwise to extract it.

EXCEPT that some/many/all older Dodge vehicles use left-hand threads for
the wheel lugs on the...oh crap, I can't remember the correct side; if
I need to loosen them I'll just have to inspect :-(

> For that matter "clockwise" is anarbitrary standard.
>
> Once such an arbitrary standard has become habitual, there is very
> little if any reason to change it, and many reasons to keep it.
>
> In this case, there's no point in changing what millions of users have
> come to expect.

Excellent!

--
Cheers, Bev
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock
every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there
picking the locks, they are always locking three.

Ron Hunter

unread,
Oct 20, 2011, 7:03:14 AM10/20/11
to
On 10/19/2011 11:19 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 10/18/2011 07:04 AM, Greywolf wrote:
>
>> On 18/10/2011 3:25 AM, Francisco wrote:
>> [snip musings]
>>>
>>> "Page", "Site"...
>>
>> I disagree. "Tab" is what it looks like, at least to those of us who
>> still remember file folders, and even occasionally still use them. ;-)
>>
>> But a basic rule of standards is "Don't change what the users have come
>> to expect." The fact is that for most of our devices standards are
>> inherently arbitrary. They have become standards only because of habit,
>> and decades or centuries of use. Eg. clockwise to drive a screw,
>> anti-clockwise to extract it.
>
> EXCEPT that some/many/all older Dodge vehicles use left-hand threads for
> the wheel lugs on the...oh crap, I can't remember the correct side; if I
> need to loosen them I'll just have to inspect :-(
>
> > For that matter "clockwise" is anarbitrary standard.
> >
>> Once such an arbitrary standard has become habitual, there is very
>> little if any reason to change it, and many reasons to keep it.
>>
>> In this case, there's no point in changing what millions of users have
>> come to expect.
>
> Excellent!
>
If everyone went along with that theory, then we would never have even
discovered the benefits of fire, let along developed the wheel.

Greywolf

unread,
Oct 20, 2011, 5:39:31 PM10/20/11
to
On 20/10/2011 7:03 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 10/19/2011 11:19 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 10/18/2011 07:04 AM, Greywolf wrote:
[...]

>>> For that matter "clockwise" is anarbitrary standard.
>>>
>>> Once such an arbitrary standard has become habitual, there is very
>>> little if any reason to change it, and many reasons to keep it.
>>>
>>> In this case, there's no point in changing what millions of users have
>>> come to expect.
>>
>> Excellent!
>>
> If everyone went along with that theory, then we would never have even
> discovered the benefits of fire, let along developed the wheel.
>

????

And just what standards were violated when fire was discovered?

Wolf K.
Message has been deleted

Ron Hunter

unread,
Oct 20, 2011, 9:33:45 PM10/20/11
to
Well, I am sure the first person who wandered into camp with a flaming
branch wasn't all that welcome in the cave.... But look where it led...
backyard barbecues!

Greywolf

unread,
Oct 20, 2011, 10:51:01 PM10/20/11
to
True, but what does this have to do with standards?

Wolf K.

Asa Dotzler

unread,
Oct 20, 2011, 10:52:04 PM10/20/11
to
Ron Hunter wrote:
> On 10/20/2011 4:39 PM, Greywolf wrote:
>> On 20/10/2011 7:03 AM, Ron Hunter wrote:
>>> On 10/19/2011 11:19 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>>>> On 10/18/2011 07:04 AM, Greywolf wrote:

This is wandering pretty far off topic and spamming a lot of inboxes
with little value. Can we wrap this branch of the thread and get back to
discussing "tab" vs "action"?

- A

marcs...@gmail.com

unread,
Aug 17, 2013, 5:12:30 PM8/17/13
to
New page or new tab.

Not new action.

Users are already used to tabs, they know what they are and how they work. Changing that concept to "pages" would still make sense, but nobody refers to that thing as actions, not I don't think a tab is an action, the action would be navigating to a page, but refering to that action is not intuitive at all.

Changing to New page? It would probably make no harm.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages