A couple of things that annoy me in Firefox compared to Chrome

Eddy Bruel

Sep 20, 2011, 8:03:55 AM9/20/11
People have been encouraging me to speak up whenever I notice something
in which I think Firefox could be improved, so here are a couple of
things that I noticed annoyed me over the past few days.

By the way, I am not sure if this is the right channel to post
suggestions/observations like this. I didn't want to file a proper bug
report because I'm not even sure if the following are valid
suggestions/concerns. If this isn't the right channel, however, please
let me know.

1. On Mac, when opening a html file from Finder, if I open it with
Chrome, and Chrome is not currently running, it starts up, and then
loads the page I wanted to open. If I open it with Firefox, on the
other hand, and Firefox is not currently running, it starts up,
displays a welcome page, and then... nothing. I have to open the file
again before Firefox will load it.

Needless to say, Chrome's behavior here is what one would expect, so
it'd be nice if Firefox would behave in the same way.

2. When I have too many open tabs, the close tab button disappears
for every tab except the one currently being displayed. If I want to
close another tab, I have to click on it first before I can close it.
Obviously, it is kind of annoying to have to go through this extra
step.

This behavior is the same in both Firefox and Chrome, except that in
the latter I can have way more tabs open before the close tab button
disappears (on my Macbook Pro, with 1680x1050 display resolution,
and both browsers maximized, I can have about 11 open tabs in
Firefox, and about 26 open tabs in Chrome).

For smaller window sizes, the number of tabs I can have open is even
smaller. It regularly happens to me that the close tab button
disappears in Firefox with only 6 tabs open. In Chrome, on the other
hand, I rarely, if ever, run into this problem, because of the higher
limit.

Wouldn't it be possible to raise the number of tabs that can be
opened in Firefox before the close tab button disappeared?

Siddhartha Dugar

Sep 20, 2011, 1:29:22 PM9/20/11
On Sep 20, 5:03 pm, Eddy Bruel <ejpbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>     Wouldn't it be possible to raise the number of tabs that can be
>     opened in Firefox before the close tab button disappeared?

Open about:config from the URL bar. Proceed in the page that opens,
and enter "browser.tabs.tabClipWidth" in the filter box. Set its value
to something low like 60 to see the close button on tabs with width at
least 60 pixels.

KWierso

Sep 22, 2011, 11:07:14 AM9/22/11
On Sep 20, 12:29 pm, Siddhartha Dugar <dugar.siddhar...@gmail.com>
wrote:
There's also a pref in there to control whether the close buttons
disappear at all.

Nemo

Nov 15, 2011, 11:54:04 AM11/15/11
On Sep 22, 8:07 pm, KWierso <kwie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There's also a pref in there to control whether the close buttons
> disappear at all.
What about:
.tabbrowser-tab .tab-close-button { display: -moz-box !important}
in userChrome.css or Stylish?

Art Kocsis

Nov 15, 2011, 5:06:50 PM11/15/11
to Moz Dev-Usability
On Sep 20, 4:03 am, Eddy Bruel <ejpbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2. When I have too many open tabs, the close tab button disappears
> for every tab except the one currently being displayed. If I want to
> close another tab, I have to click on it first before I can close it.
> Obviously, it is kind of annoying to have to go through this extra
> step.
>
> This behavior is the same in bothFirefoxand Chrome, except that in
> the latter I can have way more tabs open before the close tab button
> disappears (on my Macbook Pro, with 1680x1050 display resolution,
> and both browsers maximized, I can have about 11 open tabs in
> Firefox, and about 26 open tabs in Chrome).
>
> For smaller window sizes, the number of tabs I can have open is even
> smaller. It regularly happens tomethat the close tab button
> disappears inFirefoxwith only 6 tabs open. In Chrome, on the other
> hand, I rarely, if ever, run into this problem, because of the higher
> limit.
>
> Wouldn't it be possible to raise the number of tabs that can be
> opened inFirefoxbefore the close tab button disappeared?

1) Having the close tab button only appear on the active tab is the preferred
behavior for me - the alternative is very dangerous. With lots of tabs open
(with horizontal tabs), it is very easy to click on and close the wrong tab.

2) Using the Vertical Tab extension completely obviates the entire issue as
well as offering tremendous benefits:

You can easily have 50 or more tabs open with full legibility and complete,
quick control of the tab width (via mouse click & drag).

The close button only appears on the active tab but reappears on mouse-over.

Offers a number of tab management actions via a right click menu.

Eliminates the horizontal tab bar which increases the vertical browser window
by about 25 pixels

It also works quite well with the TabGroupsManager extension to allow you
to easily organize and manage a dozen (named) columns/groups of 50 open
tabs each! (Plus a lot more goodies.)

These extensions improve the usability of FF so much that they are absolute
must-haves for me. Without them it would be like going back to a rotary dial
from a touch-tone or back to DOS from a GUI.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vertical-tabs/
https://addons.mozilla.org/es-ES/firefox/addon/tabgroups-manager/

Ron Hunter

Nov 15, 2011, 8:55:22 PM11/15/11
If you use enough tabs to cover the side of the screen, and keep them
open. Otherwise, you lose a significant part of your screen. For those
of us who rarely have more than 3 or 4 tabs open, it is worse than
useless. Nothing is optimal for EVERYONE.

Lord BlackFox

Nov 16, 2011, 6:40:26 AM11/16/11
> 2. When I have too many open tabs, the close tab button disappears
>     for every tab except the one currently being displayed. If I want to
>     close another tab, I have to click on it first before I can close it.
>     Obviously, it is kind of annoying to have to go through this extra
>     step.

Central click on the tab close it.