improving bookmarklets

Tommy B

Nov 16, 2011, 9:39:09 AM11/16/11
Problem:
Right now, every type of bookmark folder is stuffed into the bookmarks
menu. It is super cluttered with the menu coommands(show all
bookmarks, bookmark this page, bookmark all tabs), unsorted bookmarks,
bookmarks toolbar, and the actual bookmarks. This is very cluttered by
mixing everything together. With the addition of adding bookmarklet,
it will be even more cluttered.

Currently, there is no way of quickly accessing bookmarklets without
the bookmarks toolbar. Storing bookmarkslets in the top level
bookmarks folder would make it easy to access, but it would mean
opening that cluttered mess.

Solution:
It would be better to have a bookmarks button in the navigation
toolbar that can access a subdirectory of the bookmarks toolbar as the
top level menu, this way it keeps it clean.

Solution partially implememted else where:
Safari has implemented reading list and treat that as a top level
concept on par with bookmarks.

firefox advantage with more flexibility:
It would be better if firefox supported bookmarklets as a top level
concept. This would make it even better than safari, because it can
support many features like instapaper, delicious, readability, and
many more awesome bookmarklets. All these features wcan be qicky
accessed without installing site specific add-ons.

André Neves

Nov 17, 2011, 4:21:58 AM11/17/11
to dev-us...@lists.mozilla.org
On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Tommy B wrote:
> Solution:
> It would be better to have a bookmarks button in the navigation
> toolbar that can access a subdirectory of the bookmarks toolbar as the
> top level menu, this way it keeps it clean.

You can customize the navigation toolbar and add the button there.
Are you making a suggestion to make the button appear there by default?

> firefox advantage with more flexibility:
> It would be better if firefox supported bookmarklets as a top level
> concept. This would make it even better than safari, because it can
> support many features like instapaper, delicious, readability, and
> many more awesome bookmarklets. All these features wcan be qicky
> accessed without installing site specific add-ons.

Can't one use the bookmarks toolbar for that?
Case in point: it's what I do. :)

Ron Hunter

Nov 17, 2011, 4:27:57 AM11/17/11
I think the bookmarks toolbar may be the most underused feature in FF.
Because it is now turned off by default, many users probably have never
seen it. Sometimes 'usability' has a lot to do with being discoverable,
rather than just useful.

Nemo

Nov 17, 2011, 10:31:34 AM11/17/11
Tommy B wrote:
> Problem:
> bookmarks toolbar, and the actual bookmarks. This is very cluttered by
> mixing everything together. With the addition of adding bookmarklet,
> it will be even more cluttered.
>
> Currently, there is no way of quickly accessing bookmarklets without
> the bookmarks toolbar. Storing bookmarkslets in the top level

Tommy, have you considered the Greasemonkey add-on? Many bookmarklets
are available as userscripts and then these are managed without
resorting to "bookmarks".

The Real Bev

Nov 17, 2011, 4:07:02 PM11/17/11
It's even more useful, at least on a wide-screen monitor, as a vertical
bar. At the very least you can get a lot more of them visible at one
time. This should be a normal option, not something that you have to
install TWO extensions to accomplish.

--
Cheers, Bev
A spokesperson for 60s band 'the animals' has today made a

Ron Hunter

Nov 17, 2011, 4:57:53 PM11/17/11
Hummm. My screen is much wider than it is tall.