More link description text

migue...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2015, 12:30:10 PM11/27/15
Hello.

I developed my first extension for private use and it applies to Thunderbird only.

When i'm on the add-ons list installed on my Thunderbird and i click on the "More" hyperlink of my add-on, it opens just the description sentence that i configured in my install.rdf file.

However, i'd like to have a complete description page with image, if possible, like the other add-ons that i have installed in my thunderbird, like lightning, for example.

How can i do that? I don't have found any information about this.

thanks,
Miguel.

Miguel Real

Nov 27, 2015, 12:32:03 PM11/27/15
I forgot to say that i implemented a restart xpi addon if it helps.

Philip Chee

Nov 28, 2015, 8:39:46 AM11/28/15
In your install.rdf add something like:
<em:aboutURL>chrome://somethinghere/content/about.xul</em:aboutURL>

The add a about.xul file in the right location in your XPI. It's a
normal XUL window so it can contain long descriptions, images, buttons,
flashing neon lights, etc.

Phil

--
Philip Chee <phi...@aleytys.pc.my>, <phili...@gmail.com>

Miguel Real

Nov 30, 2015, 7:26:05 AM11/30/15
Hello Philip.

I already have an about xul file and that is working when you have right clicked on an addon description and choose the about option from the context menu that is displayed.

What i want is different. When you are in thunderbird addons list, after the short description, you have the "more" hyperlink. When i click this link, i want to display a page that have a detailed description of my addon with images or thumbnails, like other addons that i have installed (lightning for example).

I just don't know how i can do it, i searched and i didn't find any answer for this. I don't know if it can be only for those addons that are hosted in the official repository too.

Philip Chee

Dec 1, 2015, 5:22:11 AM12/1/15
On 30/11/2015 20:26, Miguel Real wrote:
> Hello Philip.
>
> I already have an about xul file and that is working when you have
> right clicked on an addon description and choose the about option
> from the context menu that is displayed.
>
> What i want is different. When you are in thunderbird addons list,
> after the short description, you have the "more" hyperlink. When i
> click this link, i want to display a page that have a detailed
> description of my addon with images or thumbnails, like other addons
> that i have installed (lightning for example).
>
> I just don't know how i can do it, i searched and i didn't find any
> answer for this. I don't know if it can be only for those addons that
> are hosted in the official repository too.

I believe that this links back to addons.mozilla.org and the details
come from the description and screenshots of your addon page on AMO.

Miguel Real

Dec 1, 2015, 5:47:55 AM12/1/15
Well, i suspect that is correct. However i have my own extension for private use in my office that is not hosted on AMO and i wanted something similar.

That isn't possible at all?

Philip Chee

Dec 9, 2015, 10:10:04 AM12/9/15
On 01/12/2015 18:47, Miguel Real wrote:
> Well, i suspect that is correct. However i have my own extension for
> private use in my office that is not hosted on AMO and i wanted
> something similar..
>
> That isn't possible at all?

Yes it's possible.

I did something similar recently. I overlaid the addons manager
(about:addons) and injected some code that intercepted the [Options]
button for a particular extension and redirected it to my own code to do
what I needed. You could reverse engineer the "more" hyperlink and
redirect it to your own private page.

var lightningPrefs = {
guid: "{e2fda1a4-762b-4020-b5ad-a41df1933103}",
handleEvent: function(aEvent) {
var item = gListView.getListItemForID(this.guid);
if (!item)
return;

item.showPreferences = this.showPreferences;
},
showPreferences: function() {
var win = Services.wm.getMostRecentWindow("mozilla:preferences");
if (win) {
win.focus();
var doc = win.document;
var pane = doc.getElementById("paneLightning");
doc.documentElement.syncTreeWithPane(pane, true);
} else {
openDialog("chrome://communicator/content/pref/preferences.xul",
"PrefWindow",
"non-private,chrome,titlebar,dialog=no,resizable",
"paneLightning");
}
},
};

window.addEventListener("ViewChanged", lightningPrefs, false);

--
-==-

Miguel Real

Dec 10, 2015, 7:36:13 AM12/10/15
Hi Philip.
Thanks for your answer.

I don't know a lot of xpi development, so what are the steps to implement this code that you wrote, so that clicking on the more hyperlink it opens my own html page with my description?

Best regards,
Miguel.

Philip Chee

Dec 11, 2015, 8:50:48 AM12/11/15
On 10/12/2015 20:36, Miguel Real wrote:

> Hi Philip.

> Thanks for your answer.
>
> I don't know a lot of xpi development, so what are the steps to
> implement this code that you wrote, so that clicking on the more
> hyperlink it opens my own html page with my description?
>
> Best regards, Miguel.

Ah, OK. Let's start from the beginning. Is your extension:
1. A XUL overlay extension?
2. A bootstrap extension?
3. An Addon-SDK extension?
4. Something else entirely?

How much do you know about the internals of Firefox, specifically the
about:addons page?

Your JavaScript knowledge/experience:
1. Beginner
2. Apprentice
3. Journeyman
4. Master-class

Miguel Real

Dec 14, 2015, 7:18:51 AM12/14/15
Hello again Philip.

My addon is built as a XUL overlay extension that needs to restart thunderbird everytime is installed.

It was the fastest way to implement it since i didn't know much about this stuff. There was another addon inside my company implemented this way and that was my source for my development.

My javascript experience is basic, so i was asking for help on how to implement that code and where i should put it.

I supposed the code that you wrote is for capture the Lightning Options button click and i want something similar to the more hyperlink that is in the description of my addon.

I don't know in what file i should put the code similar to the one you wrote and what modifications i should do in present files or new ones.

In this moment this is my files/folders structure:

-changelog.txt
-chrome.manifest
-install.rdf
-README.md
-chrome (FOLDER)
---content (FOLDER)
-----aboutDialog.xul
-----button.js
-----button.xul
-----icon.png
-----logo.png

This addon adds a new button to a toolbar, so i have that button js and xul files. The aboutDialog.xul is to display info when the user clicks on the "about" link.