XUL: is suitable for my goals

pozz...@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2015, 8:31:52 AM10/14/15
I don't know if this question is off-topic in this group.

I'm very new to XUL technology, I found it during searching for "user interface description language".

My goal is to develop desktop applications for different type of electronics gadgets that usually provide only a simple RS232 serial channel.
I'm searching a technology that avoids to develop different applications for each gadget, but only one for all of them. The gadgets are different, so they have different GUIs. The user uses the software on the PC to read the status and make some modifications.

The idea is to embed the GUI details *in* the gadget and use a single generic software on the PC. So I found XUL technology and I'm wondering if it could be suitable for my application. I could zip all the XUL files and put the archive in the gadget.

A simple software on the PC retrieves the archive file from the gadget through the serial port and launch XULRunner to start the application.

Of course the user can interact with the GUI. For example, when he clicks on a button, a LED on the gadget should be switched on. I need to convert the "button click" event into a message to send to the gadget through RS232. How to achieve this?

Do you think XUL technlogy could be fine for me?