MDN updates for IRC > Matrix

jswi...@mozilla.com

Feb 20, 2020, 11:58:01 AM2/20/20
Hi folks,

Given Mozilla's transition from IRC to Matrix for real-time chat, I'm updating MDN pages that reference channels on irc.mozilla.org.

I asked in #svg whether there is a Matrix room for SVG, and got no answer. So, I deleted the reference to #svg on https://wiki.developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Mozilla_SVG_Project

If you have or create a Matrix room that I haven't found, please update that article to mention it. BTW, the "Share room" option in Riot is kind of useless -- use links that look like "https://chat.mozilla.org/#/room/#mdn:mozilla.org" (this is for the MDN room).

Also BTW, in the process of reviewing pages, I moved the "SVG FAQ" article into the "Archive" section of MDN, which has styling to indicate that it is out of date and should not be relied on. (It's now at https://wiki.developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Archive/Mozilla/SVG_FAQ)

--
Janet Swisher
MDN Web Docs

Cameron McCormack

Feb 20, 2020, 4:57:49 PM2/20/20
to jswi...@mozilla.com, dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Janet,

On Fri, Feb 21, 2020, at 3:58 AM, jswi...@mozilla.com wrote:
> I asked in #svg whether there is a Matrix room for SVG, and got no
> answer. So, I deleted the reference to #svg on
> https://wiki.developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Mozilla_SVG_Project

I think directing SVG discussions to the #layout room in Matrix should be fine. The #svg IRC channel has been very quiet the last few years, and all of the Mozilla people familiar with SVG will be in #layout.

> If you have or create a Matrix room that I haven't found, please update
> that article to mention it. BTW, the "Share room" option in Riot is
> kind of useless -- use links that look like
> "https://chat.mozilla.org/#/room/#mdn:mozilla.org" (this is for the MDN
> room).

I've updated the link in the FAQ section to point to the #layout room.

> Also BTW, in the process of reviewing pages, I moved the "SVG FAQ"
> article into the "Archive" section of MDN, which has styling to
> indicate that it is out of date and should not be relied on. (It's now
> at
> https://wiki.developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Archive/Mozilla/SVG_FAQ)

Sounds reasonable, thanks!