Fwd: [Mozilla Enterprise] NPAPI "exact" support end - will ESR52 still support NPAPI?

Sebastian Metzger

Mar 22, 2016, 8:37:13 AM3/22/16
to dev-tech...@lists.mozilla.org
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: [Mozilla Enterprise] NPAPI "exact" support end - will ESR52
still support NPAPI?
Datum: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 14:38:07 +0100
Von: Sebastian Metzger <Sebastia...@debeka.de>
An: enter...@mozilla.org, releas...@mozilla.com

Hello,

we testet Firefox 45.0.0ESR in the win64 version the last days.
Because we have the need to use many plugins, especially Java applets
but also some others, and win64 has only limited support for plugins
(compare
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/12/15/firefox-64-bit-for-windows-available/),

we are forced to use 32bit version for now (possibly whole 45ESR branch).

We are aware that Oracle already announced that Plugin Development will
end with Java 9 (compare
https://blogs.oracle.com/java-platform-group/entry/moving_to_a_plugin_free).
We also know that mozilla is planing to stop NPAPI support at "end of
2016", like described in
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/.

But when exactly will the support end?
Will the NPAPI support already end with Firefox 45ESR? Or will Firefox
52ESR still support NPAPI?

We are asking because we are not sure, if all applet providers will
replace there applets with Java-ws or modern webapp-methods like html5,
... soon enough.
We hope that NPAPI support for ESR will end much later than RR.
Elsewhere it will likely break many enterprise installations and will
force even more enterprise customers to use alternative browsers that
still support plugins (even it is for only about a year of waiting for
the applet providers to react).

Best regards

Sebastian Metzger

--
Sebastian Metzger

Debeka Krankenversicherungsverein a. G.
Debeka Lebensversicherungsverein a. G.
Debeka Allgemeine Versicherung AG
Debeka Pensionskasse AG
Debeka Bausparkasse AG

Abteilung Benutzer- und Endgerätedienste (IS/BE)
56058 Koblenz

E-Mail: Sebastia...@debeka.de
Internet: www.debeka.de

Besuchen Sie uns auch in sozialen Netzwerken.
Unsere Adressen finden Sie hier: www.debeka.de/socialmedia

Pflichtangaben der Debeka-Unternehmen
gemäß § 35a GmbHG / § 80 AktG: www.debeka.de/pflichtangaben

Benjamin Smedberg

Mar 22, 2016, 9:14:14 AM3/22/16
to p0360279, dev-tech...@lists.mozilla.org

On 3/22/2016 8:36 AM, Sebastian Metzger wrote:

> We also know that mozilla is planing to stop NPAPI support at "end of
> 2016", like described in
> https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2015/10/08/npapi-plugins-in-firefox/.
>

> But when exactly will the support end?
> Will the NPAPI support already end with Firefox 45ESR? Or will Firefox
> 52ESR still support NPAPI?

We are still monitoring plugin usage stats, so I don't want to commit to
a final schedule or plan yet. But the current plan we're tracking
against is to have 52/ESR52 be the last release with NPAPI support.

--BDS

Sebastian Metzger

Mar 22, 2016, 10:54:20 AM3/22/16
to Benjamin Smedberg, dev-tech...@lists.mozilla.org
Hello Benjamin,

thanks for your info.
I have one more note and one more question.

I know that many enterprise customers like us don't send telemetry. So
be aware that the plugins stats maybee provide a more private than
enterprise view of plugin usage.

Would it be ok, if I share your info in the enterprise mailing list,
where I first posted this question?
(Sorry for that, skipped the last sentence in your post)
Or would you like to do?

Best regards

Sebastian Metzger

--
Sebastian Metzger

Debeka Krankenversicherungsverein a. G.
Debeka Lebensversicherungsverein a. G.
Debeka Allgemeine Versicherung AG
Debeka Pensionskasse AG
Debeka Bausparkasse AG

Abteilung Benutzer- und Endgerätedienste (IS/BE)
56058 Koblenz

E-Mail: Sebastia...@debeka.de
Internet: www.debeka.de

Besuchen Sie uns auch in sozialen Netzwerken.
Unsere Adressen finden Sie hier: www.debeka.de/socialmedia

Pflichtangaben der Debeka-Unternehmen
gemäß § 35a GmbHG / § 80 AktG: www.debeka.de/pflichtangaben

Benjamin Smedberg

Mar 22, 2016, 1:56:06 PM3/22/16
to Sebastian Metzger, dev-tech...@lists.mozilla.org
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 10:53 AM, Sebastian Metzger <
Sebastia...@debeka.de> wrote:

> I know that many enterprise customers like us don't send telemetry.

If you have also disabled Firefox Health Report, then I can't make any
decisions based on your data. I'd really like to encourage everyone to keep
FHR enabled.

> Would it be ok, if I share your info in the enterprise mailing list, where
> I first posted this question?

Yes. I didn't see this go by on the enterprise list, but I admit that I
only skim that list.

--BDS

--
Benjamin Smedberg
Engineering Manager, Firefox

leonardo...@gmail.com

Aug 12, 2016, 2:53:37 PM8/12/16
Is there any news or official date for the end of the NPAPI support?

Tks

Chris Peterson

Aug 12, 2016, 3:25:46 PM8/12/16
The plan is still to end NPAPI support (for all plugins except Flash) in
Firefox 52, though NPAPI will continue to be supported in the ESR
version of Firefox 52. This blog post has more details:

https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2016/07/20/reducing-adobe-flash-usage-in-firefox/

chris

leonardo...@gmail.com

Aug 15, 2016, 8:28:51 AM8/15/16