Firefox OS and BELLA project

Frédéric Wang

Feb 24, 2016, 12:10:02 PM2/24/16
to Raniere Silva
Dear all,

As you may have read, Mozilla recently made some decisions regarding
Firefox OS, the corresponding apps and marketplace. They are essentially
giving up the smartphones/tablets market and are moving focus on
"Connected Devices" and the "Internet Of Things".

Some time ago, Raniere and I were excited about Firefox OS for mobile
devices and we we worked on a project to create Firefox OS apps for
education. In particuliar, these apps contained many math formulas and
were at the same time a way to demonstrate and motivate the MathML
developments in Gecko (and maybe help funding these developments). Many
of the apps had already been published at the following address:

https://marketplace.firefox.com/search?author=BELLA+project

Given the change of direction of Mozilla we decided to make the source
of the BELLA project public (paid apps are no longer relevant) and under
the MPL / CC. We hope to get help from the community to continue the
project and move to non-FirefoxOS-specific Web apps. For people who are
interested, here is the link:

https://github.com/fred-wang/BELLA

Cheers,

--