MathML Refresh Heads up

Frédéric Wang

Mar 15, 2019, 6:30:46 AM3/15/19
Hello Mozilla developers,

As some of you may know, Igalia is working on MathML support in Chromium
this year [1]. As part of that effort we joined a new MathML Refresh
Community Group [2] and one goal is to focus on a core spec for browser
implementations [3] to:
- Remove deprecated/uncommon/duplicate math features that could be
implemented by polyfills (relying on MathML core and other web
technologies).
- Add more detailed algorithms (based on TeX/OpenType/CSS layout) to
help implementation and conformance testing.
- Align MathML with CSS/HTML (parsing, layout...), introducing new web
platform features (CSS, fonts...) for math if necessary.

We expect that this effort will improve browser interoperability and
reduce complexity of current implementations.

This is just a heads up to say that some work is likely to happen to
update/remove/add MathML features. The appropriate "Intents" will be
sent later to these mailing lists.

Frédéric and Rob,

[1] https://mathml.igalia.com/
[2] https://mathml-refresh.github.io/