Next release of GNU Free Fonts with Open Type MATH support?

Frédéric Wang

Apr 7, 2015, 5:38:09 AM4/7/15
to freefo...@gnu.org
Hi,

Someone recently asked me to add GNU FreeSerif to the list of default
fonts for my MathML font settings addon [1]. It turns out that,
according to the changelog, a MATH table was added in November 2013 ;
which means that it can be used for the MathML rendering in Gecko >= 31
[2]. This is great news since GNU FreeSerif seems to be
available/preinstalled in most Linux distributions and so that would
avoid the need for users to manually install math font [3]. However, the
latest release of GNU FreeSerif was in 2012, which leads to the
following question: when will the next version of GNU FreeSerif be released?

Thanks,

[1] https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/mathml-font-settings/
[2] https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/31.0/releasenotes/
[3] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/MathML_Project/Fonts

--
Frédéric Wang
maths-informatique-jeux.com/blog/frederic

Raniere Silva

Apr 7, 2015, 8:42:55 AM4/7/15
to dev-tec...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Frédéric,

> Someone recently asked me to add GNU FreeSerif to the list of default
> fonts for my MathML font settings addon [1]. It turns out that,
> according to the changelog, a MATH table was added in November 2013 ;
> which means that it can be used for the MathML rendering in Gecko >= 31
> [2]. This is great news since GNU FreeSerif seems to be
> available/preinstalled in most Linux distributions and so that would
> avoid the need for users to manually install math font [3].

Amazing news. =)

> However, the
> latest release of GNU FreeSerif was in 2012, which leads to the
> following question: when will the next version of GNU FreeSerif be released?

Can we contact GUN FreeSerif maintainer?
This week I need a new release for one project manager by John MacFarlane
and he was very comprehensive about that.

Cheers,
Raniere
signature.asc

Frédéric Wang

Apr 7, 2015, 9:01:32 AM4/7/15
> Can we contact GUN FreeSerif maintainer?

My initial message was to the GNU FreeFont mailing list, so hopefully
we'll get a reply soon.