wikipedia MathML display issues - help appreciated

Jason Vas Dias

May 8, 2017, 6:26:11 PM5/8/17
to dev-tec...@lists.mozilla.org
Good day -

I have installed ALL of Fred Wang's Firefox Addons @ :
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/profiles/fred.wang
into my Firefox 54.a2 Developer Edition browser, on linux,
and the MathML fonts, so that :
$ fc-list | grep -i 'latin.*math'
/usr/tex/2016/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm-math/latinmodern-math.otf:\
Latin Modern Math:style=Regular
; I have toggled the about:preferences#content->Advanced
'Allow pages to specify their own fonts' , in an attempt
to solve this problem, but I there are still readability issues
with MathML in Wiki[PM]edia content, such as at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_space#Basis%20And%20Dimension
(just above this section) there is the equation :
f′′(x) + 2f′(x) + f(x) = 0
this text appears fine when cut and pasted into this email, in the same
browser session that is displaying the above text in WikiPedia as
shown in attached screen grab .

Note how the quote marks are missing in the font used on the WikiPedia
page (shown in attached 'eq.png'), but not in the font used in GMail's old
HTML web interface when cut-and pasted, showing the UTF-8 is correct
but the font used by WikiPedia is missing a glyph for the mathematical
'backtick' / 'dash' symbol .

Please, can anyone tell me how to set the MathML fonts used in
WikePedia pages on Mozilla 54 for Linux ?

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Jason Vas Dias

May 8, 2017, 7:19:58 PM5/8/17
to dev-tec...@lists.mozilla.org
Aha! Lucky I have FF Developer Edition - right clicking on the equation
and choosing 'Inspect Element' in the popup menu then shows the problematic
stanza:

AND when I move the cursor to the element in the Web Tools Inspector,
like magic, the font display problem is fixed and the equation
displays correctly.

This is not really a MathML issue then - Wikipedia is using texhtml here .

Maybe I should raise a firefox texhtml bug.

Sorry, thanks, Jason

Frédéric Wang

May 11, 2017, 11:08:31 AM5/11/17
to Moritz Schubotz
Le 09/05/2017 à 01:19, Jason Vas Dias a écrit :
> Aha! Lucky I have FF Developer Edition - right clicking on the equation
> and choosing 'Inspect Element' in the popup menu then shows the problematic
> stanza:
>
> AND when I move the cursor to the element in the Web Tools Inspector,
> like magic, the font display problem is fixed and the equation
> displays correctly.
>
> This is not really a MathML issue then - Wikipedia is using texhtml here .

Hi Jason,

Yes this is a well known issue in Wikipedia. People sometimes write
equations in HTML instead of LaTeX and this is causing a11y, font and
other rendering inconsistencies. I'm not sure whether something can
really be done, but I'm cc'ing Moritz who is probably more aware of
MediaWiki stuff.

Thanks,

--
Frédéric Wang