State of Tamarin

52 views
Skip to first unread message

Lucas

unread,
Oct 13, 2009, 5:44:01 AM10/13/09
to
Hi,

i just wanted to ask: What is the state of tamarin? Will it be
integrated in future firefox js engines - or is it cancelled and will
only be used in flash player engines?

Kind Regards,
moonglum

Wes Garland

unread,
Oct 13, 2009, 7:57:05 AM10/13/09
to Lucas, dev-tech-...@lists.mozilla.org
Lucas:

I am not a mozillian, however, IIUC --

- Tamarin was never slated for Firefox
- ScreamingMonkey (Taramin's conservative GC + SpiderMonkey) is cancelled
- Tamarin and TraceMonkey (SpiderMonkey + Tracing JIT) share the same JIT
compiler

Wes

> _______________________________________________
> dev-tech-js-engine mailing list
> dev-tech-...@lists.mozilla.org
> https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-js-engine
>

--
Wesley W. Garland
Director, Product Development
PageMail, Inc.
+1 613 542 2787 x 102

moonglum

unread,
Oct 13, 2009, 8:25:53 AM10/13/09
to
Wes:

Thanks for your response, heard something similiar in irc from another
non-mozillian!
The JUT Compiler seems to be named NanoJIT.

- Lucas

On 13 Okt., 13:57, Wes Garland <w...@page.ca> wrote:
> Lucas:
>
> I am not a mozillian, however, IIUC --
>
>  - Tamarin was never slated for Firefox
>  - ScreamingMonkey (Taramin's conservative GC + SpiderMonkey) is cancelled
>  - Tamarin and TraceMonkey (SpiderMonkey + Tracing JIT) share the same JIT
> compiler
>
> Wes
>

> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 5:44 AM, Lucas <lucas.doh...@koeln.de> wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > i just wanted to ask: What is the state of tamarin? Will it be
> > integrated in future firefox js engines - or is it cancelled and will
> > only be used in flash player engines?
>
> > Kind Regards,
> > moonglum
> > _______________________________________________
> > dev-tech-js-engine mailing list

> > dev-tech-js-eng...@lists.mozilla.org

Graydon Hoare

unread,
Oct 14, 2009, 2:21:52 AM10/14/09
to moonglum
moonglum wrote:
> Wes:
>
> Thanks for your response, heard something similiar in irc from another
> non-mozillian!
> The JUT Compiler seems to be named NanoJIT.

Yes. NanoJIT is the sole component shared between Tamarin (the Adobe
ActionScript interpreter/JIT) and Spidermonkey/Tracemonkey (the Mozilla
Javascript interpreter/JIT).

NanoJIT is not a complete JIT for either language. It's a backend
component that consumes a language-independent intermediate form called
LIR and generates machine code. We're in the process of promoting
NanoJIT to a independent project with its repository, to make sharing
code between the two projects easier.

-Graydon

moonglum

unread,
Oct 14, 2009, 7:12:58 AM10/14/09
to

Thanks Graydon!

So most of what is written here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarin_
%28JavaScript_engine%29) is bullocks, right?
And Tamarin ist not a JS Interpreter/JIT but only a ActionScript
Interpreter/JIT?

Ok, now i understood what NanoJIT is :)

- moonglum

Nickolay Ponomarev

unread,
Oct 14, 2009, 8:14:35 AM10/14/09
to dev-tech-...@lists.mozilla.org
On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 3:12 PM, moonglum <lucas....@koeln.de> wrote:

> So most of what is written here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarin_

> %28JavaScript_engine%29<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamarin_%0A%28JavaScript_engine%29>)
> is bullocks, right?
>

Seems accurate, but I edited it a bit to clarify.


> And Tamarin ist not a JS Interpreter/JIT but only a ActionScript
> Interpreter/JIT?
>

Yeah, but it was supposed to track ES4 development, which was supposed to be
mostly backwards-compatible with JavaScript 1.x. I don't know how compatible
it is with JS now, though.

Nickolay

Graydon Hoare

unread,
Oct 18, 2009, 3:43:59 PM10/18/09
to
Nickolay Ponomarev wrote:

> Yeah, but it was supposed to track ES4 development, which was supposed to be
> mostly backwards-compatible with JavaScript 1.x. I don't know how compatible
> it is with JS now, though.

Caveat: I'm not a Tamarin maintainer. Ask them if you want detailed answers.

Afaik ActionScript is a superset of JavaScript, modulo some
version-number skew and such. Probably a few corner cases differ, and of
course none of the browser API many JS authors expect will be present.
But the Tamarin testsuite contains, for example, sunspider, jsbench, v8,
and the mozilla ecma3 suite. So I think it's pretty broadly compatible
at a source level.

-Graydon

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages