JS_HAS_FILE_OBJECT support removed in TraceMonkey repository

Jeff Walden

Feb 10, 2010, 7:41:15 PM2/10/10
Given current priorities for most of the TraceMonkey team (making JS fast, feature-ful wrt ES5 and future revisions, etc.) the ancient, opt-in file support code is not being maintained, improved, meaningfully bugfixed, etc. It's therefore been removed from the repository to reflect the reality that we are busy frying other fish and don't have time for it. It's still in history if you really need it -- but you should really consider one of the other, actually-maintained solutions out there instead if at all possible.

Jeff

Wes Garland

Feb 10, 2010, 8:49:32 PM2/10/10
to Jeff Walden, dev-tech-...@lists.mozilla.org
Good riddance.

It has never built since Makefile.ref was deprecated, so nobody should be
complaining, I hope. It's also quite buggy -- even simple things like
read-write streams throw-on-open when O_RDWR != O_RDONLY | O_WRONLY (which
is just about everywhere UNIX).

If anybody out there really needs this functionality, I have some code you
can probably bend into the same API, offered under the same license terms as
SpiderMonkey -- hit me up for details.

Wes

--
Wesley W. Garland
Director, Product Development

psthomas

Feb 24, 2010, 9:41:47 PM2/24/10
Hi Jeff,

I ran across this today after banging my head against all the
requirements to get narcissus and File() working in order to parse and
manipulate JS parse trees (now I want those 2 days of my life back).

What started me down this road was Brendan's post warning folks away
from the jsparse, and that until jsparseapi existed (if ever)
narcissus would be the best bet (https://wiki.mozilla.org/
JavaScript:SpiderMonkey:Parser_API).

> but you should really consider one of the other, actually-maintained solutions out there instead if at all possible.

So if narcissus can't really talk to the real world (w/out File()),
what's the best advice right now for mucking with JS parse trees?

Cheers,
Patrick

Jeff Walden

Mar 24, 2010, 2:16:18 PM3/24/10
On 02/24/2010 06:41 PM, psthomas wrote:
> So if narcissus can't really talk to the real world (w/out File()),
> what's the best advice right now for mucking with JS parse trees?

Sorry for not getting back to this sooner, I'm bad at reading newsgroups regularly...

Dave Herman is working on some AST creation/manipulation APIs, I believe prototyping ES6 strawmen -- that's probably the best advice long-term. *right now*, I'm not so sure.

Jeff

Wes Garland

Mar 24, 2010, 4:19:12 PM3/24/10
to psthomas, dev-tech-...@lists.mozilla.org
> So if narcissus can't really talk to the real world (w/out File()),
> what's the best advice right now for mucking with JS parse trees?

In *theory* you should be able to get Narcissus to run under gpsee's JS
shell, which would let you use the CommonJS fs-base API to do your file I/O.

Hit me up in #gpsee on freenode if you want help.