ANNOUNCMENT: Flusspferd 0.8 released

Ash Berlin

Oct 20, 2009, 6:58:55 PM10/20/09
to dev-tech-...@lists.mozilla.org
Fresh off the intertubes to Sourceforge upload pages, we proudly
announce Flusspferd version 0.8 <http://flusspferd.org/#v0.8>. You can
download it from Sourceforge <https://sourceforge.net/projects/flusspferd/files/
>.

This version is hot on the heels of 0.7 (relatively speaking) due to a
lot of work Ash Berlin put in place to get features for the first
release of Juice <http://github.com/ashb/juice> and Zest – the first
implementation of a JSGI 0.3 webapp server and an app framework to go
on top of it – which is due for its initial release any day now.

Queue standard blurb:

Flusspferd is a young project with the aim of combining Javascript and
C++ for the benefit of both sides: Javascript fans can profit from how
much easier - compared to everything else - it is to write native
modules for Flusspferd; and C++ developers can enjoy the integration
of a real language like Javascript, benefitting from our focus on
actually using C++ as opposed to, say, Spidermonkey's approach.
Currently we support Spidermonkey / Tracemonkey as a backend and Unix-
like platforms, with tentative support for Windows via MinGW (Vinzenz
Feenstra has been working towards MSVC support). We also support the
CommonJS project <http://commonjs.org/>as an implementation and by
helping to write and shape the specifications.

Major features in this release:

* Build trees are now relocatable – you can move the built tree to a
different place on the filesystem and module loading will do the right
thing.
* Refactor of require() handling – this means modules are now JITable.
* Implement most of the CommonJS `fs-base' (Filesystem/A/0) module (no
permissions functions yet).
* Treat source files as UTF-8 – this means you can have unicode
literals in .js source files now.
* REPL now prints debug/uneval representation, rather than .toString().
* Enable Spidermonkey strict warnings for all modules.
* SQLite3 plugin got an overhaul.
* Immature plugins are no longer part of the main tree. This means no
cURL, or XML plugins for now. If you want them back sooner, help us
finish (designing) their APIs.
* JSON top-level-object is now always available.

Being a Zero-dot release, Flusspferd 0.8 will inevitably contain bugs,
perhaps show-breaking bugs (but hopefully not as we've increased the
test coverage). We ask you to please report the bugs! No need to
formally file a bug on <http://redmine.flusspferd.org> if you don't
> or on IRC is fine.

(Sorry for the project announce spam. Hopefully no one objects too much)