How to open a word application inside a Firefox?

vincent lin

Aug 14, 2007, 3:51:48 AM8/14/07
to dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org
How to open a word application inside a Firefox?
This discussion is open for suggestion.
Many thanks for replying.
--
this.brain=null
msn: vincent...@gmail.com

David E. Ross

Aug 15, 2007, 11:06:32 AM8/15/07
On 8/14/2007 12:51 AM, vincent lin wrote:
> How to open a word application inside a Firefox?
> This discussion is open for suggestion.
> Many thanks for replying.

Do you want to have Firefox open a .doc file in Word when there is a
link to it (e.g., something of the form <http://www.foo.com/bar.doc>)?

If the Web server is Apache, you need to ensure the proper MIME type is
set. In .htaccess, you should have
AddType application/msword doc
(Note that there is no period in front of "doc".)

Also, I believe the .doc file needs to be uploaded in binary mode to the
Web server.

Just be aware that the file might not open for someone using a non-PC
platform and a word-processing application other than Word. However,
this should work for applications such as Wordstar that accept
Word-formatted files.

--

David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

bureaucracy has obviously never worked for a large corporation. © 1997