WebRender V1 Project Status Update - October 12th

Thomas Elin

Oct 12, 2018, 5:08:29 PM10/12/18
to epm-status, dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org, Joe Hildebrand, Maire Reavy
Hello All,

WebRender V1 Project status update posted for Friday October 12th.

Project Status - Challenged
  • DECISION MADE: WebRender v1 will ride the trains to Beta Fx64 enabled by default!
  • DECISION MADE: WebRender v1 Release forecast has been pushed from Fx64 to Fx65 due to high number of outstanding bugs blocking release. Overall Project status changed to 'Challenged'.

Why are we Challenged?
There are a high number (143)  bugs blocking our ability to ride the trains to Release.

Mitigation plan
- Increased Headcount on the project
- Planning experiments in Beta and Release to gather performance and stability impacts
- Working to publish a dashboard soon to monitor progress against our recently revised release criteria.

Project Progress Summary
- WebRender Version 1 is currently enabled by default in Firefox 64.
- WebRender Version 1 has been given a 'GO' to ride the trains to Beta enabled by default with Fx64.
- Our focus is on refining our Release Criteria. Ongoing progress can currently be monitored by tracking the bug burndown here.  We plan to replace this with a WebRender dashboard soon.

For more information around what is targeted in Version 1, upcoming milestones, known risks, etc. See our mana page.

Feel free to reach out directly with any questions

Cheers
Thomas
telin (slack)