Proposal to make m-c the canonical home of WebRender

Kartikaya Gupta

Oct 31, 2018, 6:48:40 PM10/31/18
to dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org
As a heads up to anybody who wasn't at the WR meeting today, there is a proposal to make mozilla-central the canonical home of webrender. The Github repo would still exist, we would just sync it from m-c instead of the other way around. The proposal and possible implementation are in google docs [1], [2]. Please take a look in the next day or two if this is relevant to your interests and leave comments on the docs.

Thanks!

Lars Bergstrom

Oct 31, 2018, 7:07:34 PM10/31/18
to Kartikaya Gupta, dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org, Patrick Walton, Jack Moffitt, Josh Matthews, Bobby Holley
Thanks for sharing!

Did you reach out to any member of the Servo core team (https://github.com/servo/servo/wiki/Governance#core-team)? Anything that impacts workflow on or requires changes to Servo repositories or projects should be designed in conjunction with that team.

Sorry if I missed stuff around this discussion! I've been stuck in the planning exercises and probably won't come up for air for another couple of weeks. As any change from the status quo will definitely impact the mixed reality programs, which rely heavily on Servo, I'd ask that you hold off until we've been able to asses that impact. In particular, staffing decisions from the in-flight planning process will impact internal and external resourcing decisions relative to this project.

Thanks,
- Lars

Kartikaya Gupta

Oct 31, 2018, 7:23:56 PM10/31/18
to lars...@mozilla.com, dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org, pcwa...@mozilla.com, Jack Moffitt, j...@mozilla.com, Bobby Holley, Maire Reavy
We haven't officially contacted the Servo core team yet (although I
guess maybe this email thread counts now) since the plan was (and
still is) being figured out. FWIW we would like to minimize the
disruption to existing workflows as much as is feasible, but if you
have specific things you'd like to call out please do so. Also for
context the main motivation here is from the Firefox org to make sure
critical components are in-tree and follow a unified process for
easier tracking by Firefox stakeholders (sheriffs, release, project
mgmt, etc.).

Lars Bergstrom

Oct 31, 2018, 9:01:41 PM10/31/18
to Kartikaya Gupta, dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org, Patrick Walton, Jack Moffitt, Josh Matthews, Bobby Holley, mreavy
Thanks - sounds good! Josh said that he's in the loop now, and I'm confident that we can find something that works wonderfully for all the projects dependent on WR. Look forward to chatting more soon!
- Lars