Code complexity/productivity discussion

Nicolas Silva

Jan 20, 2021, 4:12:08 PM1/20/21
to dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi all,

I would like interested parties to gather for a couple of meetings sometimes soon, before we got about making a roadmap:

The first one will be about sharing things that get in your way when making changes, and that we think would be important to address architecturally now so that we can move faster for our upcoming goals. For example: "Adding a new primitive to webrender requires touching and duplicating a lot of code in all parts of the code including code that isn't specific to that new primitive." or "Implementing this type of optimization is hard because of the way A and B are organized in our code". Ideally we'd discuss the problems and resist the urge to spend time discussing the solution. The goal is to gather problems and see what the common themes are.

Then we would pick a small-ish number of these, the ones that are most likely to require some significant architectural changes, and would talk about ways forward, during a second meeting.

Hopefully these would be one hour-ish meetings. I'm trying to emulate some of the discussions we naturally had during allhands but haven't had as much this year.

If we have raised during the first meeting more than what can be discussed in the second meeting, my hope is that it can spark ideas and discussions which lead to smaller meetings/discussions between whoever is interested.
Or maybe everything is all good, most of us are happy about the shape of webrender right now, and the meetings will be short with a small number of attendees (that would be a very desirable outcome).

I've personally identified quite a few things that get in the way of productivity (more than I think would fit a year's roadmap), some of which I think are worth significant refactorings. I'd rather have had time to discuss the ones some of them before we commit to a roadmap, and I'd like to make sure my vision of the architectural changes I want to make match where other people think we should be going.

Glenn is interested in attending, so a late meeting for europe/toronto time would work, or we can split the meeting in two to accomodate the time zones and I can try to attend and compile the discussions from both

Jeff Gilbert

Jan 20, 2021, 5:41:35 PM1/20/21
to Nicolas Silva, dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org
Was this the new email that triggered the flushing of old ones? It
sounds newer than the others!

Nicolas Silva

Jan 21, 2021, 8:23:37 AM1/21/21
to Jeff Gilbert, dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org
Yeah it looks like it did for some reason.

Nicolas Silva

Jan 21, 2021, 12:18:59 PM1/21/21
to Jeff Gilbert, dev-te...@lists.mozilla.org
I created this gdoc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HkJguWFqwELgMZ0BJsGYXPpMiv8N7vbOlffmilIOieg/edit?usp=sharing which anyone with a mozilla address can edit. Don't hesitate to add to it whatever you would like to discuss during the first meeting. You don't have to but it could give other people time to read it and think about it beforehand.