Issue while setting up DXR with vagrant.

saikrishna sripada

Aug 19, 2014, 7:54:52 AM8/19/14
to dev-stati...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi All,

Newbie here. trying to contribute to mozilla foundation's dxr, Tried
setting up dxr with vagrant as described.
facing the below issue.
https://etherpad.mozilla.org/HMF41FiVuZ
<https://etherpad.mozilla.org/HMF41FiVuZ>

Complete log here: http://pastebin.com/TghPhGT0

I cannot find any piece of code in the VM and also cannot make.
did I miss anything? thanks in advance!!

> My VMBox is version 4.3
➜ tests git:(master) ✗ VBoxManage -v
4.3.14r95030

Thanks,
--sai krishna.

Erik Rose

Aug 19, 2014, 11:57:01 AM8/19/14
to saikrishna sripada, dev-stati...@lists.mozilla.org
From the "Killed", it looks like you're running out of memory and the OS has started killing off processes to keep things afloat. The set of measurements at the bottom of your transcript shows only 33% memory use, but I wonder if I could get a second opinion: what does "vmstat -S m -a" say on the VM before and after a failed "make"?

> I cannot find any piece of code in the VM

Take a look in /home/vagrant/dxr. Is there code in there? I think you will find that there is, as that's where peep.py lives, mounted with the rest of the code as part of a Virtualbox shared folder.

How much RAM does the host machine have? We have one other contrib with problems running DXR on a very small host.

You could try increasing RAM on the VM. I don't see why it should work in CI for us with the stock settings but fail for you, but it's worth a try.

Thanks for taking the time to ask for help. We'll get it figured out. :-)

Cheers,
Erik