Merging mozjs and rust-mozjs

Josh Matthews

Jan 10, 2020, 11:29:30 AM1/10/20
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Given how closely intertwined the two repositories are, and especially
given we can no longer publish them to crates.io and have a pinned git
revision in rust-mozjs's Cargo.toml, I propose that we merge the
servo/mozjs and servo/rust-mozjs repositories into servo/mozjs. We can
follow
https://saintgimp.org/2013/01/22/merging-two-git-repositories-into-one-repository-without-losing-file-history/
to retain the file history of rust-mozjs.

I would like to initiate this merge as soon as the current SpiderMonkey
upgrade that nox is working on is complete. Any objections?

Cheers,
Josh

Manish Goregaokar

Jan 10, 2020, 11:31:37 AM1/10/20
to dev-servo
This seems good to me.

Alan Jeffrey

Jan 10, 2020, 6:23:54 PM1/10/20
to dev-servo
Would the idea be to have two top-level dirs, `mozjs` and `mozjs_sys` each
of which has its own `Cargo.toml`? So the crates would be the same, it's
just the repos that are merging?

On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 10:31 AM Manish Goregaokar <manis...@gmail.com>

Josh Matthews

Jan 10, 2020, 6:37:30 PM1/10/20
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Correct.

Anthony Ramine

Jan 11, 2020, 8:45:36 AM1/11/20
to dev-servo
I'm ok with that, especially given that's what I intend to do with my independent looking into how we could improve the SM vendoring situation (except that the top-level crate in my case is an unpublishable tool for handling the rest of the repo).