Last week for testing potential IRC replacements

Josh Bowman-Matthews

Oct 3, 2019, 12:15:39 PM10/3/19
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi everyone! Mozilla is currently testing out three different
replacements for IRC. irc.mozilla.org is going to go away in early 2020,
so our synchronous text chat home will need to change. If you would like
to have input into this decision, please try out the test instances
listed in
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15JyYWOuP1geAwQPMFzJbRtxJG4tZwFJ2GYK7wSvvcVs/edit#
before October 9 and add your feedback to that document. If there is
Servo-specific feedback you have, feel free to reply to this message
with it.

Cheers,
Josh

Josh Bowman-Matthews

Oct 3, 2019, 12:25:31 PM10/3/19
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
I've created Servo channels on each of the test instances. I encourage
you to join them and experiment with the features of the platform -
replying to messages; using threads; using rich message content like
images, links, emoticons, etc.

Josh Bowman-Matthews

Oct 3, 2019, 12:29:01 PM10/3/19
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
If anybody is having trouble accessing the document, here's the relevant
information:

Our Matrix/Riot.IM instance is here: https://mozilla-test.riot.im/
client apps: https://about.riot.im/
"homeserver" for client: https://mozilla-test.modular.im/

Our Mattermost test instance is here: https://mattermost-test.allizom.org/
client apps: https://mattermost.com/download/#mattermostApps

Our Rocket.Chat test instance is here: https://rocketchat-test.allizom.org/
client apps: https://rocket.chat/install

On each of these servers, we'll be taking feedback in the #synchronicity
channels as well as in this thread, and of course you can always email
mh...@mozilla.com directly.

Anthony Ramine

Oct 4, 2019, 9:01:24 AM10/4/19
to dev-servo
Why isn't Freenode a candidate for the switch? The Daala team hangs there so it's not like there is no precedent.

> Le 3 oct. 2019 à 18:28, Josh Bowman-Matthews <jo...@joshmatthews.net> a écrit :
>
> If anybody is having trouble accessing the document, here's the relevant information:
>
> Our Matrix/Riot.IM instance is here: https://mozilla-test.riot.im/
> client apps: https://about.riot.im/
> "homeserver" for client: https://mozilla-test.modular.im/
>
> Our Mattermost test instance is here: https://mattermost-test.allizom.org/
> client apps: https://mattermost.com/download/#mattermostApps
>
> Our Rocket.Chat test instance is here: https://rocketchat-test.allizom.org/
> client apps: https://rocket.chat/install
>
> On each of these servers, we'll be taking feedback in the #synchronicity channels as well as in this thread, and of course you can always email mh...@mozilla.com directly.

Josh Bowman-Matthews

Oct 4, 2019, 10:05:35 AM10/4/19
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Freenode is still a candidate for us. The candidates listed here
require actual feedback because they are different from IRC; Freenode is
more of the same, so it doesn't require explicit testing.

Paul Rouget

Oct 9, 2019, 7:41:03 AM10/9/19
to dev-servo
Now that irccloud is gone, what do you people do? Use a IRC client? Moved
to one of these platforms?

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 4:05 PM Josh Bowman-Matthews <jo...@joshmatthews.net>
wrote:

> Freenode is still a candidate for us. The candidates listed here
> require actual feedback because they are different from IRC; Freenode is
> more of the same, so it doesn't require explicit testing.

Josh Bowman-Matthews

Oct 9, 2019, 8:51:50 AM10/9/19
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
#servo on irc.mozilla.org still exists. Everyone is continuing to use
IRC with the client of their choice. The other services' test instances
are being shut down today.

Manish Goregaokar

Oct 9, 2019, 10:25:43 AM10/9/19
to Paul Rouget, dev-servo
I never used it, I have a screen session on a server running irssi.

I wouldn't recommend it unless you like terminal UIs.