New intermediate certs and Audit Statements

Kathleen Wilson

Jul 9, 2019, 5:50:52 PM7/9/19
to mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
All,

There is some confusion about disclosure of new intermediate certs that
are issued to subordinate CAs with currently valid audit statements.

Section 5.3.2 of Mozilla's Root Store Policy says: "If the CA has a
currently valid audit report at the time of creation of the certificate,
then the new certificate MUST appear on the CA's next periodic audit
reports."

I think it is reasonable to assume that the same policy applies to
subordinate CAs, such that if the subordinate CA has a currently valid
audit report at the time of creation of a new intermediate certificate,
then the new certificate MUST appear on the subordinate CA's next
periodic audit reports.

The confusion is about how to disclose such a new intermediate
certificate in the CCADB.

I propose that to handle this situation, the CA may enter the
subordinate CA's current audit statements and use the Public Comment
field to indicate that the new certificate will be included in the next
audit statements. (Also, a quick comparison of the cert's Valid-From
date and the audit period dates will indicate this situation.)

Please let me know if you foresee any problems with this approach.

Thanks,
Kathleen

Ryan Sleevi

Jul 9, 2019, 6:17:30 PM7/9/19
to Kathleen Wilson, mozilla-dev-security-policy
That aligns with past discussions [1][2], which resulted in similar
uncontroversial proposals [3]. Wayne previously discussed the lifecycle of
certificates during past CA/Browser Forum F2Fs [4][5]. With respect to [5],
Wayne proposed the uncontroversial "Change #3" for the alignment of audit
reports, and this would similarly align the disclosure.

This is particularly important to be harmonized, given reports like [6],
which provide an important signal to the community about the entities
involved with issuance.

Note that if the same policies do not apply to the new sub-CA, it has
seemed uncontroversial that some form of new audit is required. Is that
consistent with your understanding as well?

[1]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/CAaC2a2HMiQ/IKimeW4NBgAJ
[2]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/v8-V2D957tU/BtogJ3rECQAJ
[3] https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2018/07/02/root-store-policy-updated/
[4]
https://cabforum.org/2018/10/18/minutes-for-ca-browser-forum-f2f-meeting-45-shanghai-17-18-october-2018/#28-Audit-requirements-over-the-lifecycle-of-a-root
[5]
https://cabforum.org/2019/05/03/minutes-for-ca-browser-forum-f2f-meeting-46-cupertino-12-14-march-2019/#Audit-requirements-over-the-lifecycle-of-a-Root-CA
[6]
https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mozilla.dev.security.policy/7bLbgXTf5Ng/l8nmVfzEAwAJ

Kathleen Wilson

Jul 10, 2019, 2:42:41 PM7/10/19
On 7/9/19 3:17 PM, Ryan Sleevi wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 5:50 PM Kathleen Wilson via dev-security-policy
>> I propose that to handle this situation, the CA may enter the
>> subordinate CA's current audit statements and use the Public Comment
>> field to indicate that the new certificate will be included in the next
>> audit statements.

To support this, we have added the "Comments" column to these two reports:
https://ccadb-public.secure.force.com/mozilla/IntermediateCertsSeparateAudits
https://ccadb-public.secure.force.com/mozilla/IntermediateCertsSeparateAuditsCSV

> Note that if the same policies do not apply to the new sub-CA, it has
> seemed uncontroversial that some form of new audit is required. Is that
> consistent with your understanding as well?

That is consistent with my understanding as well. I'll make a note to
look into this in regards to enforcement in the CCADB, and the above
listed reports should probably also be updated to show the CP/CPS data.

Thanks,
Kathleen

Rob Stradling

Mar 24, 2021, 8:32:24 AM3/24/21
to Kathleen Wilson, mozilla-dev-s...@lists.mozilla.org
On 9th July 2019, Kathleen wrote:
> I propose that to handle this situation, the CA may enter the
subordinate CA's current audit statements and use the Public Comment
field to indicate that the new certificate will be included in the next
audit statements.

Hi Kathleen. CCADB now automatically shows the following message (when relevant) in red text at the top of each intermediate certificate page:

"This certificate was created after the audit period of the current audit statement, so please make sure to include it in the CA's next periodic audit statement."

Do you still expect CAs to "use the Public Comment field to indicate that the new certificate will be included in the next audit statements"?
Or may we stop doing that now?

Thanks.

________________________________

Kathleen Wilson

Mar 24, 2021, 12:24:30 PM3/24/21
On 3/24/21 5:32 AM, Rob Stradling wrote:
> On 9th July 2019, Kathleen wrote:
>> I propose that to handle this situation, the CA may enter the
> subordinate CA's current audit statements and use the Public Comment
> field to indicate that the new certificate will be included in the next
> audit statements.
>
> Hi Kathleen. CCADB now automatically shows the following message (when relevant) in red text at the top of each intermediate certificate page:
>
> "This certificate was created after the audit period of the current audit statement, so please make sure to include it in the CA's next periodic audit statement."
>
> Do you still expect CAs to "use the Public Comment field to indicate that the new certificate will be included in the next audit statements"?
> Or may we stop doing that now?
>
> Thanks.

Rob, Thanks for bringing this up. I agree that it is not necessary to
use the Public Comment field to indicate that the new certificate will
be included in the next audit statements. CAs may stop doing that.

Thanks,
Kathleen