Firefox Deployment documentation needs correction.

Felix Hansson Wenicke (External)

Dec 3, 2019, 5:08:05 AM12/3/19
to dev-q...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Mozilla,

I was unsure how to get in touch with the department managing the documentation regarding Firefox deployment, and found QA to be the closest to the matter. I apologize if I should have contacted you through a different address. If so, I hope you will be willing to deliver this to the correct receiver.

I've been trying to follow your Firefox Deployment documentations, but abruptly came to a halt. I found that you have published two separate documentation articles regarding the command-line options, and when comparing them I noticed that they differentiate from one and another quite substantially.

When trying to run Firefox 70.0.1 32-bit MSI-installer with command-line options described here, https://firefox-source-docs.mozilla.org/browser/installer/windows/installer/FullConfig.html, none of them are accepted. After some troubleshooting, I found that the parameters in the very bottom of your knowledge base article worked much better; https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/deploy-firefox-msi-installers
Clarification:
msiexec.exe /i FirefoxSetup70.0.1.msi DESKTOP_SHORTCUT=false works as intended
msiexec.exe /i FirefoxSetup70.0.1.msi /DesktopShortcut=false does not

I suspect that the knowledge base article is run by you folks. Are the source docs run by the community? Is there any way for me to assist in correcting the documentation? If not, I ask for Mozilla to update this ASAP as this has already lost me several hours of time, and I am certain this has, and will, impact others as well.

Felix

Ryan VanderMeulen

Dec 3, 2019, 7:37:46 AM12/3/19
to Felix Hansson Wenicke (External), dev-q...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Felix, the Enterprise mailing list is probably the best forum for your
questions on deployment.

Thanks,
Ryan