Fwd: New extension signing scheme and US government interference/censorship

bernard

Jun 2, 2015, 4:32:04 PM6/2/15
to dev-p...@lists.mozilla.org
I haven’t read this full e-mail as it’s a bit dense, but is there any place I can find out about "this latest announcement from Mozilla “?

Thanks in advance,
Bernard

> [...]
> inue down this draconian path.
>
> Here are some sensible solutions instead:
>
> 1) Let developers cryptographically sign their own addons. Users can voluntarily install apps that are not available in the app store by downloading them from the developer's site or manually loading them into the browser (drag and drop the extension file). No special pre-release or development builds should be required for this, just the regular version that everyone else uses. Maintain a blocklist of malware extensions within the browser if you need to. Doing this is at the user's own risk so throw a big warning about loading external extensions so the user is well aware of what they're doing.
>
> 2) For inclusion in the app store it should be cryptographically signed by the developer _also_ reviewed by Mozilla _and_ signed by Mozilla as well. Users can pin the public key of the developer by obtaining the public key via a trusted method (e.g. Web of Trust, Namecoin) then loading it into the browser via a dialog or section in the UI for this. When downloading a new extension the browser would check the developer's and Mozilla's signatures of the app at install time and before downloading an automatic update.
>
> 3) Without options 1) and 2) above, the only remaining option for developing a secure HTML5 end-to-end crypto app will be to avoid broken HTTPS and app stores entirely. For example, make a full page HTML5 app that loads from an index.html file on the local filesystem. Package the app files in a zip file. Sign the zip file with GnuPG. Serve the zip file from a website along with the GnuPG signature file. Put the GnuPG public key and fingerprint in the Namecoin blockchain (or share it with users directly via Web of Trust). Users can verify the public signing key from the blockchain, download the zip and signature files, verify it is authentic, finally unzip and run the index.html file. This is not as user friendly as downloading an extension and just running it however.
>
> These solutions are provably secure unlike your new authoritarian, censorship prone app store design. Go back to the drawing board please and stop pandering to the US government.

signature.asc

Michaela R. Brown

Jun 3, 2015, 9:27:41 AM6/3/15
to bernard, dev-p...@lists.mozilla.org
I believe this is the post you're looking for.

https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2015/02/10/extension-signing-safer-experience/

Cheers!

WaltS48

Jun 3, 2015, 10:13:10 AM6/3/15
On 06/02/2015 04:31 PM, bernard wrote:
> I haven’t read this full e-mail as it’s a bit dense, but is there any place I can find out about "this latest announcement from Mozilla “?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Bernard

See [Addons/Extension Signing -
MozillaWiki](https://wiki.mozilla.org/Addons/Extension_Signing) and
[AMO/SigningService -
MozillaWiki](https://wiki.mozilla.org/AMO/SigningService)

--
Kubuntu 15.04 | KDE 4.14.8 | Thunderbird 38.0b6 (Beta)
[Visit Pittsburgh](http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/)