Does Firefox somehow expose its local time?

rememberi...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2020, 11:23:55 AM3/28/20
I am looking to lock-down my browser as much as possible. I am going back and forth between the Tor Browser and straight FF (with Tor-based suggestions). With the former I use a proxy service as Tor is too slow. I have also played with Chameleon to spoof the TZ to mimic where I am coming from. I am using deviceinfo.me to validate what the browser reveals. While it shows the system time as being the TZ I set in Chameleon, there is a value called 'Local Time' that seems to show my actual TZ (EST/EDT). It's not clear from the web page whether 'Local Time' means 'to the browser' or 'to the website'. I tend to doubt it's the latter since the '.me' suffix is for Montenegro. I sent a query to their contact email but haven't gotten a reply.

So my question is, can javascript make a request for time that preserves the OS's TZ?

Thanks

hxx...@gmail.com

Apr 30, 2020, 1:09:30 AM4/30/20
On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 11:23:55 PM UTC+8, rememberi...@gmail.com wrote:
> I am looking to lock-down my browser as much as possible. I am going back and forth between the Tor Browser and straight FF (with Tor-based suggestions). With the former I use a proxy service as Tor is too slow. I have also played with Chameleon to spoof the TZ to mimic where I am coming from.

Hi, I believe that set the pref "privacy.resistFingerprinting" is true in about:config can meet your need. "privacy.resistFingerprinting" is combining several resist-fingerprint patches for Tor Browser, which timezone is spoofed to 'UTC', the Locale is spoofed to en-US and more... The details could be found on https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Fingerprinting#Technical_Details, https://wiki.mozilla.org/Security/Tor_Uplift/Tracking

> I am using deviceinfo.me to validate what the browser reveals. While it shows the system time as being the TZ I set in Chameleon, there is a value called 'Local Time' that seems to show my actual TZ (EST/EDT).

It calculates the local time by your IP address, not your browser tell. Most GeoIP databases provide timezone information about IP.

--
Tom