Why don't browsers ask for cookies?

Gerrit Weiermann

Feb 23, 2020, 7:17:28 AM2/23/20
after the release of GDPR I was confused why websites need to ask for the use of cookies.
Why is there no API for websites so they can ask the browser for generalized purposes.
On the one hand the cookie popups will be always equal and less irritating and on the other hand if the purposes were generalized I can configure that specific cookies are always allowed and some other always denied.

Many permissions like microphone access, location, notifications need to be granted. Why is this not for cookies?

Ehsan Akhgari

Feb 24, 2020, 9:54:37 AM2/24/20
to Gerrit Weiermann, dev-p...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Gerrit,

Mozilla in fact did have a cookie permission dialog that users could
optionally enable a long time ago. This dialog was removed because it made
the web browsing experience unusable for most users. You can find some
information about this dialog and the challenges encountered in its design
here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Cookies:prompting_ui.

On Sun, Feb 23, 2020 at 7:20 AM Gerrit Weiermann <husi0...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Ehsan