Research paper on ability of Google/others to track behavior via Referrer: headers

John Jensen

Jun 8, 2015, 9:33:14 PM6/8/15
to dev-privacy
Hi there,

As per subject. Some time in the last year or so I read a very interesting
paper about how companies like Google could derive a substantial portion of
an individual's web browsing behaviour from linking together Referrer:
headers.

I'd like to use that for a presentation but for the life of me I can't find
it in my notes or internet searches. If anyone recalls what I am talking
about and can point me in the right direction, I will be very grateful and
will buy you an appropriate beverage at the earliest opportunity.

Thanks

John

--
John Jensen
Director, Metrics, Mozilla Corporation jje...@mozilla.com

Rabimba Karanjai

Dec 9, 2015, 1:33:35 AM12/9/15
I am not entirely sure if you are talking about any specific articles. But I know of relevant work in this field. Which takes us to these two papers

P. Eckersley. How unique is your web browser? In
Privacy Enhancing Technologies, volume 6205 of LNCS,
pages 1-18. Springer, 2010
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-14527-8_1

And
On Inferring TCP Behavior