Firefox deficiency

baden.ku...@gmail.com

Oct 2, 2021, 2:13:52 AM10/2/21
Dealing with the expired certificate issue, I encountered a deficiency on some 'recent' Firefox versions.

The instructions stated:

From the main menu in Firefox, select Tools | Options. Click Advanced on the left, and select the Certificates tab on the right.

However, on both Firefox_45.5.0.exe and firefox-45.9.0-2.exe, the tabs did not exist. I opened an older version, Firefox 45.5.0 Beta 8 (2017-05-19), and the tabs are displayed.

thanks!
Baden

Dave Yeo

Oct 15, 2021, 6:15:22 PM10/15/21
That's weird, as here they're present, FF45.9.0 build ID 20210117203527
you can find the build ID by going to about:support.
The latest Firefox is on Hobbes, built with GCC 9.9.2, it seems fairly
stable
Dave

baden.ku...@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2021, 8:54:27 PM10/20/21
Hi Dave:

Thanks for your response. Is your "20210117203527" an experimental build? The latest Hobbes is: firefox-45.9.0.en-US.os2-i686-9.9.2-08112020.zip Mine is 20171005002840 .

There are also 686 and Pentium-m compiles. I was just reading that "Pentium" might be problematic. What would you recommend?

thanks!
Baden

baden.ku...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2023, 4:40:08 PM1/12/23
Hi Dave:

I just experienced an extremely positive occurrence. The other day, I deleted three seemingly superfluous SeaMonkey directories with names like "SeaMonkey_test1", etc. Last night, I went to use my (2017) Firefox, and it had completely disappeared. I was able to connect the two events, and I tried restoring, but it would not function. For the last several years, I have used a functional SeaMonkey installation, and just copied all its files into any new Mozilla based installation to obtain function.

My 'plan b' was to download a new Firefox, and hope it might work better. I got your two new Firefox Zips from Hobbes, and uneventfully, after uncompressing, and without doing anything else, just clicking on "firefox.exe" started the program right away. After years of fiddling with extra dependencies, this was pure pleasure. Additionally, the new Firefoxen functioned substantially better, and seemingly much quicker. The drop down list previously was erroneously long and non-functional, but now it is contextually correct. I now also can view "rt.com" and "ventusky.com", which would not work in the last year or two.

I have to commend and thank you for your efforts, as they have provided me with some renewed faith and optimism with the OS/2 browser situation.

thanks,
Baden