Re: Profile, xcopy

os...@wisdomtree.info

Apr 23, 2020, 11:41:57 AM4/23/20
to dev-po...@lists.mozilla.org
** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Thu, 23 Apr 2020 12:00:01 +0000

> Why She asked this it's because She can't delete toe file attachchments, i.e. tunes which She have sent to a friend, and that's because the old profile
> is sick. But perhaps if She delays the reindexing the Sent folder AFTER it's been placed in the new profile, then these attachments can be deleted
> properly and the Sent folder can then be compacted AND the Inbox can be compacted too in the new profile as there are tons of space in the R:
> (FAT32) partition.
>
> Yes, She will when She have all the info needed for doing it. You remember that She discovered that the info for the news.ecomstation.com DIDN'T
> existed under that dir but under news.ecomstation-1.com which She haven't created - the correct newsservername should be news.ecomstation.com. So
> should She copy the info below the ecomstation-1.com to its correct place BEFORE or AFTER the new profile is created? The ONLY newsserver that
> functions properly here in the old profile is news.mozilla.org, thanks the Great Mother for that!

The only way to know to do something before or after is to try it. Move files, in does not functions as expected move them back and try another way.
You will have 2 profiles, 1 to experiment with.

> > Get Syncdir from https://88watts.net/software.html, backup the entire directory.
> >

> What's the difference between doing an XCOPY of the Sent folder + it's ..msf file and doing it via the program mentioned above?

If number of files does not change, xcopy is fine. Syncdir removes unneeded files: synchronize

Cal

Christer Jacobsson

Apr 24, 2020, 1:47:19 AM4/24/20
os...@wisdomtree.info wrote:
> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Thu, 23 Apr 2020 12:00:01 +0000

As Salaamm Aleikum!

>> Why She asked this it's because She can't delete toe file attachchments, i.e. tunes which She have sent to a friend, and that's because the old profile
>> is sick. But perhaps if She delays the reindexing the Sent folder AFTER it's been placed in the new profile, then these attachments can be deleted
>> properly and the Sent folder can then be compacted AND the Inbox can be compacted too in the new profile as there are tons of space in the R:
>> (FAT32) partition.
>>
>> Yes, She will when She have all the info needed for doing it. You remember that She discovered that the info for the news.ecomstation.com DIDN'T
>> existed under that dir but under news.ecomstation-1.com which She haven't created - the correct newsservername should be news.ecomstation.com. So
>> should She copy the info below the ecomstation-1.com to its correct place BEFORE or AFTER the new profile is created? The ONLY newsserver that
>> functions properly here in the old profile is news.mozilla.org, thanks the Great Mother for that!
>
> The only way to know to do something before or after is to try it. Move files, in does not functions as expected move them back and try another way.
> You will have 2 profiles, 1 to experiment with.

If She reindex the old Sent profile, it must be copied to another
partition because there's only 38MB space left on the y: partition where
the mozilla tree sits. OTOH, if She creates the new profile on r: and
move the Sent and Inbox info there, then space will not be an issue as
there are about 10Gib free space there. But what in the nine purple
hells of Palain does the various nstmp dirs do? Are they necessary or
can they be deleted?

Yup, the old and sick profile and the spanking new Brekke profile on R:
The create .cmd file will have a SETLOCAL statement and a SET
MOZILLA_HOME=R: at the top and will invoke the ProfileManager. In
another Windowed OS/2 screen the ProfileManager will point to the
current and sick profile, then just compare and tick off the settings in
the new profile including the two newsgroups, i.e. news.ecomstation.com
and news.mozilla.org. Then after the new profile is created, migrate the
Adress Book (it's not sick) or can it be moved via a XCOPY statement to
the new profile, and if so, which file(s) does the Adress Book use?

>>> Get Syncdir from https://88watts.net/software.html, backup the entire directory.

She have problems connecting to certain https: sites, but not all. The
site for our town library is accesible even with FF 10.0.2 and 17.0.1ESR
- can't build FF31 (=lack of space on the y: partition, but when the new
profile works, then the old profile can be deleted and the space will
probably suffice for the new browser. Must do the install of ff31 in two
steps namely using ANPM to install rpm-yum and building FF45 and then
build FF31 via yum as it is stated in the installation instructions. It
will be slow as hell on this box, but She could get access to for
example Wikipedia and Ginza (a company that sells music, both vinyls and
CDs and books plus retro stuff).

>> What's the difference between doing an XCOPY of the Sent folder + it's ..msf file and doing it via the program mentioned above?
>
> If number of files does not change, xcopy is fine. Syncdir removes unneeded files: synchronize
>
> Cal

Just a short question about the WarpIn issue: First She copies the
database to a safe location, then She deletes the Warpin program and
reinstall it from the self-extracting archive which She obtained from
Netlabs. Is that the correct way to go?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-) Ex-wife deceased :-(
Team OS/2 e-mail: cribo.j...@gaea.se (Primary)

Christer Jacobsson

Apr 27, 2020, 1:55:38 AM4/27/20
os...@wisdomtree.info wrote:
> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Thu, 23 Apr 2020 12:00:01 +0000

As Salaamm Aleikum!

>> Why She asked this it's because She can't delete toe file attachchments, i.e. tunes which She have sent to a friend, and that's because the old profile
>> is sick. But perhaps if She delays the reindexing the Sent folder AFTER it's been placed in the new profile, then these attachments can be deleted
>> properly and the Sent folder can then be compacted AND the Inbox can be compacted too in the new profile as there are tons of space in the R:
>> (FAT32) partition.
>>
>> Yes, She will when She have all the info needed for doing it. You remember that She discovered that the info for the news.ecomstation.com DIDN'T
>> existed under that dir but under news.ecomstation-1.com which She haven't created - the correct newsservername should be news.ecomstation.com. So
>> should She copy the info below the ecomstation-1.com to its correct place BEFORE or AFTER the new profile is created? The ONLY newsserver that
>> functions properly here in the old profile is news.mozilla.org, thanks the Great Mother for that!
>
> The only way to know to do something before or after is to try it. Move files, in does not functions as expected move them back and try another way.
> You will have 2 profiles, 1 to experiment with.

If She reindex the old Sent profile, it must be copied to another
partition because there's only 38MB space left on the y: partition where
the mozilla tree sits. OTOH, if She creates the new profile on r: and
move the Sent and Inbox info there, then space will not be an issue as
there are about 10Gib free space there. But what in the nine purple
hells of Palain does the various nstmp dirs do? Are they necessary or
can they be deleted?

Yup, the old and sick profile and the spanking new Brekke profile on R:
The create .cmd file will have a SETLOCAL statement and a SET
MOZILLA_HOME=R: at the top and will invoke the ProfileManager. In
another Windowed OS/2 screen the ProfileManager will point to the
current and sick profile, then just compare and tick off the settings in
the new profile including the two newsgroups, i.e. news.ecomstation.com
and news.mozilla.org. Then after the new profile is created, migrate the
Adress Book (it's not sick) or can it be moved via a XCOPY statement to
the new profile, and if so, which file(s) does the Adress Book use?
Discovered that the Adress Book is called abook.mab, so a COPY of that
file to the new profile should be sufficient, or are She out in the blue
here?

>>> Get Syncdir from https://88watts.net/software.html, backup the entire directory.

Whhere woould the syncdir backup land, and can the location be specified
and should the syncdir program be placed at the TOP of the
mailer-invoking *.cmd file? On She have 3.8Gib of space on a
newly-created W: partition meant to house the download of ArcaOS when
She and Her trustee have paid the for the 1-year subscription that
allows Her to download not only ArcaOS but other programs, utils and
suchlike.

She have problems connecting to certain https: sites, but not all. The
site for our town library is accesible even with FF 10.0.2 and 17.0.1ESR
- can't build FF31 (=lack of space on the y: partition, but when the new
profile works, then the old profile can be deleted and the space will
probably suffice for the new browser. Must do the install of ff31 in two
steps namely using ANPM to install rpm-yum and building FF45 and then
build FF31 via yum as it is stated in the installation instructions. It
will be slow as hell on this box, but She could get access to for
example Wikipedia and Ginza (a company that sells music, both vinyls and
CDs and books plus retro stuff).

>> What's the difference between doing an XCOPY of the Sent folder + it's ..msf file and doing it via the program mentioned above?
>
> If number of files does not change, xcopy is fine. Syncdir removes unneeded files: synchronize
>
> Cal

What do you mean by that Syncdir removes unneded files, for example the
various nstmp folders that contains files? She fervently hopes that it
don't remove files from the Mail & Newsgroups structures as that would
spell doom for the mailer :-(

Just a short question about the WarpIn issue: First She copies the
database to a safe location, then She deletes the Warpin program and
reinstall it from the self-extracting archive which She obtained from
Netlabs. Is that the correct way to go, and how does She reconnect the
database to the newly-installed WarpIN?

Another tack - She have trouble installing the eCs 2.1 Business Edition
on the new box, it TRAPS after doing the setup phase and reboot via F10.
Now the Quick Installation Guide says that bootable floppies can be
created, but as the new box is empty of any OS at present, could it be
done on the old box? With the bootable floppies She could get access to
LVM, thereby creating volumes of the partitions the guy who is
responsible for DFSee created for Her including installiing BM. So the
best way is to remove BM, volumizing all existing partitions and
formatting the FAT32 volumes, the R: and the V: (this will house Win7
programs that She will install, not on the primary Win7 volume so it
won't be clogged up. Or should She try installing ArcaOS first when She
have downloaded it via wget (the author of the ArcaOS suggested this
method, bot what's the difference between wget and awget? The Wget
that's installed now is very old, so it should probably be deinstalled
and the most current version installed instead, and wget / awget can
certainly be fetched via hobbes - Her NFTP/2 client is VERY reliable
when it comes to downloading stuff from example hobbes.