Re: backup tool, sent mail file

3 views
Skip to first unread message

os...@wisdomtree.info

unread,
Mar 9, 2020, 6:11:03 PM3/9/20
to dev-po...@lists.mozilla.org
** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 09 Mar 2020 12:00:02 +0000
>
> She will use SMPMW118 for the new profile, will not migrate to 2.1 after some flavour of eCs is installed in it and all the data on the old box are
> transferred to the new one. AND a decent backup program is installed on this old box and be carried over to the new one - will make this program
> visible on more than one os/2 and eCs partitions so if for example a "hotted up" WSeB crashes then it can be restored from an eCs OS using the this

Another commerical gui tool for backup:
https://www.arcanoae.com/shop/easysync/

> She haven't trimmed down the Sent folder, it had been clobbered when the crash in the mailer occured - before the crash it contained Sent mails upto
> the crash, i.e. 2020. The crash occured when She tried to send a tune to this guy She mentioned above, and the size of that tune was 14Mib. Have sent
> a tune wich was about 20Mib in size, and that was in 2017 and SMPMW118 sent it correctly to Her buddy who likes music, both "commercial", "progg"

Re-arrange the above into: your Sent file was clobbered by adding new attachements and not deleting old notes. Continue same behavior and another
crash will occur.

> Btw, do you have any experience with ProNews/2? The current version went bonkers after a unplanned reboot so that after that every messages went
> into the same newsgroup. So She thinks that opening the old ProNews in offline mode and bring up the Settings notebook, opening a fresh Pronews
> instance, also in offline mode, just tick off the old settings in the fresh session, close them down and then deleting the Settings file in the old Pronews
> version and just plop in the new Settings file into it should clear up this problem so that She can begin using it again.

Never got to newsgroup message clients. Would like to someday.

Cal




Christer Jacobsson

unread,
Mar 10, 2020, 2:36:58 AM3/10/20
to
os...@wisdomtree.info wrote:
> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 09 Mar 2020 12:00:02 +0000
>>

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> She will use SMPMW118 for the new profile, will not migrate to 2.1 after some flavour of eCs is installed in it and all the data on the old box are
>> transferred to the new one. AND a decent backup program is installed on this old box and be carried over to the new one - will make this program
>> visible on more than one os/2 and eCs partitions so if for example a "hotted up" WSeB crashes then it can be restored from an eCs OS using the this
>
> Another commerical gui tool for backup:
> https://www.arcanoae.com/shop/easysync/
>

Shall check it for what it will cost - we haven't so much cash lying
around to buy a backup program that will cost say 100USD, there are
shareware backup program like Back 'em Up with a price tag of about
30-40USD.

>> She haven't trimmed down the Sent folder, it had been clobbered when the crash in the mailer occured - before the crash it contained Sent mails upto
>> the crash, i.e. 2020. The crash occured when She tried to send a tune to this guy She mentioned above, and the size of that tune was 14Mib. Have sent
>> a tune wich was about 20Mib in size, and that was in 2017 and SMPMW118 sent it correctly to Her buddy who likes music, both "commercial", "progg"
>

Before the current profile went sour, it was possible to delete the file
attach (=the tune) from the Sent mail so it would be trimmed down to a
plain text file with a greyed out name of the tune that had been sent -
waited for a confirmation that this friend had received the tune, den
She deleted it from the Sent mail which shrank down to 1-2Kib in size.
With the new profile in place, this delete function should work just fine.

> Re-arrange the above into: your Sent file was clobbered by adding new attachements and not deleting old notes. Continue same behavior and another
> crash will occur.
>

After the profile went sick it wasn't possible to delete file
attachments, i.e. the tunes mentioned above. With a new profile in
place, this delete function should work just fine.


>> Btw, do you have any experience with ProNews/2? The current version went bonkers after a unplanned reboot so that after that every messages went
>> into the same newsgroup. So She thinks that opening the old ProNews in offline mode and bring up the Settings notebook, opening a fresh Pronews
>> instance, also in offline mode, just tick off the old settings in the fresh session, close them down and then deleting the Settings file in the old Pronews
>> version and just plop in the new Settings file into it should clear up this problem so that She can begin using it again.
>
> Never got to newsgroup message clients. Would like to someday.

Tip: Check out if there is still an alive FidoNet in Canada, She hit on
a page that said that the Swedish FidoNet was alive and kicking. Have
retained all the FidoNet software, so She will join it to get access to
the EchoMail (the same as newsgroups AKA UseNet in internet) but easier
to use using a decent NetMail / EchoMail editor like GoldEd/2 and using
FrontDoor/2 for mailer which sends and receives posts once per diem.



Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-) Ex-wife deceased :-(
Team OS/2 e-mail: cribo.j...@gaea.se (Primary)
Team eCs e-mail: gaian...@yahoo.com (Alternate)
Team DRW Dare Refuse Windows
Chunkawakan Lakota/Sioux: Horse

Christer Jacobsson

unread,
Mar 19, 2020, 3:44:19 AM3/19/20
to
Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> os...@wisdomtree.info wrote:
>> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 09
>> Mar 2020 12:00:02 +0000
>>>
>
> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
>>> She will use SMPMW118 for the new profile, will not migrate to 2.1
>>> after some flavour of eCs is installed in it and all the data on the
>>> old box are
>>> transferred to the new one. AND a decent backup program is installed
>>> on this old box and be carried over to the new one - will make this
>>> program
>>> visible on more than one os/2 and eCs partitions so if for example a
>>> "hotted up" WSeB crashes then it can be restored from an eCs OS
>>> using the this
>>
>> Another commerical gui tool for backup:
>> https://www.arcanoae.com/shop/easysync/
>>
>

After reading the page, it's not the cup of tea for Her but rather the
PM Backup, also on the ArcaNoae site - it uses Back 'Em up as backend
but have a decent PM interface and only costs $38 for a single user
license - have no family and will not acquire a girlfriend / spouse (too
lazy for going to a dance searcing for a woman of my age - don't think
that women around 30-50 years are interested in Her (after all, She will
be 68 years old on 16 December this year - yup, you heard right on Her
age :-) But She had work as a system analyst/program at the National
Board for Socical Security's computer central in Sundsvall, and it was
Bull mainframes we used and had to program in that monstosity of
computer language namely COBOL, with some Fortran-66 program sprinkled
in. Took a course in Technical programming after She had attended
highschool (K10-12), called 'gymnasium' in Swedish which prepared the
students who wished to go to college / university studies. We studied
two program languages namely Algol-60 (mother of Pascal) and F66 with
some BASIC programs, numerical methods for solving for example
differential equations and other numerical methods and for good measure
took a course in COBOL and landed in administrative programming - worked
at the Statistic group at RFV (wich is the Swedish acronym for 'National
Board for Social Security.

> Shall check it for what it will cost - we haven't so much cash lying
> around to buy a backup program that will cost say 100USD, there are
> shareware backup program like Back 'em Up with a price tag of about
> 30-40USD.
>
>>> She haven't trimmed down the Sent folder, it had been clobbered when
>>> the crash in the mailer occured - before the crash it contained Sent
>>> mails upto
>>> the crash, i.e. 2020. The crash occured when She tried to send a
>>> tune to this guy She mentioned above, and the size of that tune was
>>> 14Mib. Have sent
>>> a tune wich was about 20Mib in size, and that was in 2017 and
>>> SMPMW118 sent it correctly to Her buddy who likes music, both
>>> "commercial", "progg"
>>
>
> Before the current profile went sour, it was possible to delete the file
> attach (=the tune) from the Sent mail so it would be trimmed down to a
> plain text file with a greyed out name of the tune that had been sent -
> waited for a confirmation that this friend had received the tune, den
> She deleted it from the Sent mail which shrank down to 1-2Kib in size.
> With the new profile in place, this delete function should work just fine.
>
>> Re-arrange the above into: your Sent file was clobbered by adding new
>> attachements and not deleting old notes. Continue same behavior and
>> another
>> crash will occur.
>>

With a new and fresh profile it should be possible to send a tune to
this guy and after getting his confirmation email that he had received
it, just go into the Sent folder and delete the fileattach, thereby
shrinking the email to a very small size, say about max 10Kib, probably
only 1-2Kib as She writes in plain text, not in HTML (first, haven't the
knowledge using HTML and second, it will eat more space in an email,
therefore plain text is the best way of writing.

>
> After the profile went sick it wasn't possible to delete file
> attachments, i.e. the tunes mentioned above. With a new profile in
> place, this delete function should work just fine.
>
>
>>> Btw, do you have any experience with ProNews/2? The current version
>>> went bonkers after a unplanned reboot so that after that every
>>> messages went into the same newsgroup. So She thinks that opening the
>>> old ProNews in offline mode and bring up the Settings notebook,
>>> opening a fresh Pronews instance, also in offline mode, just tick off
>>> the old settings in the fresh session, close them down and then
>>> deleting the Settings file in the old Pronews
>>> version and just plop in the new Settings file into it should clear
>>> up this problem so that She can begin using it again.
>>
>> Never got to newsgroup message clients. Would like to someday.
>

You can get Pronews/2 from hobbes - it's shareware so you can try it out
but you are limited to one or two newsgroups. You can have an external
editor like Tiny Edit which is shipped with ALL flavours of os2 / eCs /
ArcaOS - She used it in Pronews/2 (with licence paid) as a editor for
messages in the various newsgroups after setting the margin size to 72 -
if you have used TEDIT the bottom bar is accessible and you only have to
type 'margin 72' to activate this function. You may wonder why the value
72 comes from? It's from the old world of punched cards and at the
beginning of Her job at the RFV we had to use punched card - we wrote
our COBOL program on a programming form and gave it to the gals who did
the punching - later She did punch correction card if the COBOL compiler
barfed and put out a host of error messages - the compiler stored the
program in a file on the mainframe HD's, so it wasn't necessary to load
the whold punched card program again, only the correction cards had to
be punched and doing a new compile. Rinse and repeat until all errors
were gone, then the test phase began. And a COBOL statement had to end
at column 71 on the punched card, columns 72-80 was reserved for
sequence numbering the cards which came in handy if ond accidentally
dropped a punched card deck on the floor and it was scrambled after
that. To unscramble the deck, run the cards thorough a card sorter six
times and Voila! - it was in the correct order again :-)

Christer Jacobsson

unread,
Mar 21, 2020, 3:26:42 AM3/21/20
to
Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> os...@wisdomtree.info wrote:
>> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 09
>> Mar 2020 12:00:02 +0000
>>>
>
> As Salaam Aleikum!
>
>>> She will use SMPMW118 for the new profile, will not migrate to 2.1
>>> after some flavour of eCs is installed in it and all the data on the
>>> old box are
>>> transferred to the new one. AND a decent backup program is installed
>>> on this old box and be carried over to the new one - will make this
>>> program
>>> visible on more than one os/2 and eCs partitions so if for example a
>>> "hotted up" WSeB crashes then it can be restored from an eCs OS
>>> using the this
>>
>> Another commerical gui tool for backup:
>> https://www.arcanoae.com/shop/easysync/
>>
>

After reading the page, it's not the cup of tea for Her but rather the
PM Backup, also on the ArcaNoae site - it uses Back 'Em up as backend
but have a decent PM interface and only costs $38 for a single user
license - have no family and will not acquire a girlfriend / spouse (too
lazy for going to a dance searcing for a woman of my age - don't think
that women around 30-50 years are interested in Her (after all, She will
be 68 years old on 16 December this year - yup, you heard right on Her
age :-) But She had work as a system analyst/program at the National
Board for Socical Security's computer central in Sundsvall, and it was
Bull mainframes we used and had to program in that monstosity of
computer language namely COBOL, with some Fortran-66 program sprinkled
in. Took a course in Technical programming after She had attended
highschool (K10-12), called 'gymnasium' in Swedish which prepared the
students who wished to go to college / university studies. We studied
two program languages namely Algol-60 (mother of Pascal) and F66 with
some BASIC programs, numerical methods for solving for example
differential equations and other numerical methods and for good measure
took a course in COBOL and landed in administrative programming - worked
at the Statistic group at RFV (wich is the Swedish acronym for 'National
Board for Social Security.

Btw, what in the nine purple hells of Palain(*) is a "backend"?


> Shall check it for what it will cost - we haven't so much cash lying
> around to buy a backup program that will cost say 100USD, there are
> shareware backup program like Back 'em Up with a price tag of about
> 30-40USD.
>
>>> She haven't trimmed down the Sent folder, it had been clobbered when
>>> the crash in the mailer occured - before the crash it contained Sent
>>> mails upto
>>> the crash, i.e. 2020. The crash occured when She tried to send a
>>> tune to this guy She mentioned above, and the size of that tune was
>>> 14Mib. Have sent
>>> a tune wich was about 20Mib in size, and that was in 2017 and
>>> SMPMW118 sent it correctly to Her buddy who likes music, both
>>> "commercial", "progg"
>>
>
> Before the current profile went sour, it was possible to delete the file
> attach (=the tune) from the Sent mail so it would be trimmed down to a
> plain text file with a greyed out name of the tune that had been sent -
> waited for a confirmation that this friend had received the tune, den
> She deleted it from the Sent mail which shrank down to 1-2Kib in size.
> With the new profile in place, this delete function should work just fine.
>
>> Re-arrange the above into: your Sent file was clobbered by adding new
>> attachements and not deleting old notes. Continue same behavior and
>> another
>> crash will occur.
>>

With a new and fresh profile it should be possible to send a tune to
this guy and after getting his confirmation email that he had received
it, just go into the Sent folder and delete the fileattach, thereby
shrinking the email to a very small size, say about max 10Kib, probably
only 1-2Kib as She writes in plain text, not in HTML (first, haven't the
knowledge using HTML and second, it will eat more space in an email,
therefore plain text is the best way of writing.

>
> After the profile went sick it wasn't possible to delete file
> attachments, i.e. the tunes mentioned above. With a new profile in
> place, this delete function should work just fine.
>
>
>>> Btw, do you have any experience with ProNews/2? The current version
>>> went bonkers after a unplanned reboot so that after that every
>>> messages went into the same newsgroup. So She thinks that opening the
>>> old ProNews in offline mode and bring up the Settings notebook,
>>> opening a fresh Pronews instance, also in offline mode, just tick off
>>> the old settings in the fresh session, close them down and then
>>> deleting the Settings file in the old Pronews
>>> version and just plop in the new Settings file into it should clear
>>> up this problem so that She can begin using it again.
>>
>> Never got to newsgroup message clients. Would like to someday.
>

You can get Pronews/2 from hobbes - it's shareware so you can try it out
but you are limited to one or two newsgroups. You can have an external
editor like Tiny Edit which is shipped with ALL flavours of os2 / eCs /
ArcaOS - She used it in Pronews/2 (with licence paid) as a editor for
messages in the various newsgroups after setting the margin size to 72 -
if you have used TEDIT the bottom bar is accessible and you only have to
type 'margin 72' to activate this function. You may wonder why the value
72 comes from? It's from the old world of punched cards and at the
beginning of Her job at the RFV we had to use punched card - we wrote
our COBOL program on a programming form and gave it to the gals who did
the punching - later She did punch correction card if the COBOL compiler
barfed and put out a host of error messages - the compiler stored the
program in a file on the mainframe HD's, so it wasn't necessary to load
the whold punched card program again, only the correction cards had to
be punched and doing a new compile. Rinse and repeat until all errors
were gone, then the test phase began. And a COBOL statement had to end
at column 71 on the punched card, columns 72-80 was reserved for
sequence numbering the cards which came in handy if ond accidentally
dropped a punched card deck on the floor and it was scrambled after
that. To unscramble the deck, run the cards thorough a card sorter six
times and Voila! - it was in the correct order again :-)

> Tip: Check out if there is still an alive FidoNet in Canada, She hit on
> a page that said that the Swedish FidoNet was alive and kicking. Have
> retained all the FidoNet software, so She will join it to get access to
> the EchoMail (the same as newsgroups AKA UseNet in internet) but easier
> to use using a decent NetMail / EchoMail editor like GoldEd/2 and using
> FrontDoor/2 for mailer which sends and receives posts once per diem.

(*) A wonderul spaceman's oath in E. E. 'Doc Smiths Lensmen books - She
get hooked on them after reading the LAST book in the series named
"Children Of The Lens". The 1st book is "Triplanetary" and the 2nd is
"First Lensman" - you can look up the rest of the title using Wikipedia.
Many a time have She picked down one of the books for a joyful re-read :-)
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages