Re: UTF-8

os...@wisdomtree.info

May 19, 2020, 9:58:46 AM5/19/20
to dev-po...@lists.mozilla.org
** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 18 May 2020 12:00:02 +0000

> Can She migrate the Inbox to UTF-8 when moving it to the new profile "Brekke" and what is the command for doing this?

How did you set character set to UTF? Is there a setting in prefs.js? If so copy that to new profile?

Cal

Christer Jacobsson

May 20, 2020, 1:02:27 AM5/20/20
os...@wisdomtree.info wrote:
> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 18 May 2020 12:00:02 +0000

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> Can She migrate the Inbox to UTF-8 when moving it to the new profile "Brekke" and what is the command for doing this?
>
> How did you set character set to UTF? Is there a setting in prefs.js? If so copy that to new profile?

For the Inbox it is set "as is" but for the Sent folder the encoding is
set to UTF-8 as She had trouble with the display of our Swedish tail-enc
chars when She tried to migrate to SM 2.1 - they shew up correctly but
had some sort of "spikes" on them, little "-" and not just horizontally,
the tail-end char "Ö" (hope you see it correctly, you can get it's ASCII
value and using some tool to display it correctly as your keyboard
probably lacks these characters. But we Swedes must live with them as
they are part of our language since long ago. Another reason why She
turned on UTF-8 for the Sent folder that She cited stuff written in the
old FidoNet and they were coded US-ASCII and the mailer complained on
that when posting. Therefore She turned on UTF-8 for the Sent folder and
the problem vanished :-)

So it would be good if She could convert the Inbox to use UTF-8, She
could set it to use UTF-8 in the new profile but this would only apply
to new incoming mails.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-) Ex-wife deceased :-(
Team OS/2 e-mail: cribo.j...@gaea.se (Primary)

Christer Jacobsson

Jun 10, 2020, 1:03:16 AM6/10/20
Christer Jacobsson wrote:
> os...@wisdomtree.info wrote:
>> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 18
>> May 2020 12:00:02 +0000

As Salaam Aleikum!
Can the old profile be migrated to the new one "Brekke" which will live
on r:\mozilla.org\org in stages? Why She asks is that there are a hell
of lines under the "Helper Appplications" So could She tick off the
prefs that comes before this section, click OK on the new profile so it
will be saved/created under the name "Brekke". Then close down SMPMW118,
open the old prefs.js in e.exe and likewise open the new prefs.js and
just copy & paste over the items related to the Helper apps, save the
new prefs.js. Then fire up SMPMW118 with the old profile and another
instance with the new profile and tick off the rest which are required.

Btw, in the Mail & Newsgroups part, you only declare which newsservers
She will use, i.e. nntp.ecomstation.com and the one for
news.mozilla.org. For the last there probably are just two files, one
for the messages and a corresponding .msf file, but how is it with the
ecomstation newsgroups? Discovered that the newsgroups was placed in
news.ecomstation-1.com instead of news.ecomstation.com. So could the
files under news.ecomstation-1.com just be copied to
news.ecomstation.com. She thinks that this misplacement of the
news.ecomstation.com made the newsgroups unavailable for the mailer.
dev.ports.os2.mozilla.com works just fine, thank you :-)