Re: acpi needed

os...@wisdomtree.info

Apr 27, 2020, 6:36:07 PM4/27/20
to dev-po...@lists.mozilla.org
** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 27 Apr 2020 12:00:01 +0000

> Whhere woould the syncdir backup land, and can the location be specified and should the syncdir program be placed at the TOP of the mailer-invoking
> *.cmd file? On She have 3.8Gib of space on a newly-created W: partition meant to house the download of ArcaOS when She and Her trustee have paid
> the for the 1-year subscription that allows Her to download not only ArcaOS but other programs, utils and suchlike.

All parameters can be set, at the top of cmd file is suitable.

> What do you mean by that Syncdir removes unneded files, for example the various nstmp folders that contains files? She fervently hopes that it don't
> remove files from the Mail & Newsgroups structures as that would spell doom for the mailer :-(

A synchronize tool creates an exact copy, xcopy only copies never removes so in time is not a mirror, unless files in directory never change in number,
only size.

> Another tack - She have trouble installing the eCs 2.1 Business Edition on the new box, it TRAPS after doing the setup phase and reboot via F10. Now
> the Quick Installation Guide says that bootable floppies can be created, but as the new box is empty of any OS at present, could it be done on the old
> box? With the bootable floppies She could get access to LVM, thereby creating volumes of the partitions the guy who is responsible for DFSee created
> for Her including installiing BM. So the best way is to remove BM, volumizing all existing partitions and formatting the FAT32 volumes, the R: and the
> V: (this will house Win7 programs that She will install, not on the primary Win7 volume so it won't be clogged up. Or should She try installing ArcaOS
> first when She have downloaded it via wget (the author of the ArcaOS suggested this method, bot what's the difference between wget and awget? The
> Wget that's installed now is very old, so it should probably be deinstalled and the most current version installed instead, and wget / awget can
> certainly be fetched via hobbes - Her NFTP/2 client is VERY reliable when it comes to downloading stuff from example hobbes.

If you have a very new computer, ECS may need a newer version of ACPI, which Arca has. Why would you install both? If you have a new machine install
the latest OS. For older computers, does not matter.

Cal

Christer Jacobsson

Apr 28, 2020, 2:33:32 AM4/28/20
os...@wisdomtree.info wrote:
> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 27 Apr 2020 12:00:01 +0000

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> Whhere woould the syncdir backup land, and can the location be specified and should the syncdir program be placed at the TOP of the mailer-invoking
>> *.cmd file? On She have 3.8Gib of space on a newly-created W: partition meant to house the download of ArcaOS when She and Her trustee have paid
>> the for the 1-year subscription that allows Her to download not only ArcaOS but other programs, utils and suchlike.
>
> All parameters can be set, at the top of cmd file is suitable.

Good!

But when we are at the backup business, She will install PM Backup on
the old system and let it backup the whole system on Saturday and doing
Incremental backups Sun-Fri to an USB 64Gib stick. Next Saturday, switch
USB stick and rinse and repeat :-) And on the 3rd week use the 1st USB
again - thus She will have two weeks of backups available if something
gets very shitty :-( Used exatly this method on the old box with
BackAgain/2 Pro and backed up to two DAT74 tapes, one for the 1st week,
tne other for the 2nd week. Nice and easy, just change tape after the
Friday Incr backup had been done.

But you mentioned USB-connected HD as backup medium rather than USB
sticks, but how much would such a HD cost, let say for a 100Gib HD na a
500GB HD (the new box have two 500Gib HD's)

>> What do you mean by that Syncdir removes unneded files, for example the various nstmp folders that contains files? She fervently hopes that it don't
>> remove files from the Mail & Newsgroups structures as that would spell doom for the mailer :-(
>
> A synchronize tool creates an exact copy, xcopy only copies never removes so in time is not a mirror, unless files in directory never change in number,
> only size.
>
>> Another tack - She have trouble installing the eCs 2.1 Business Edition on the new box, it TRAPS after doing the setup phase and reboot via F10. Now
>> the Quick Installation Guide says that bootable floppies can be created, but as the new box is empty of any OS at present, could it be done on the old
>> box? With the bootable floppies She could get access to LVM, thereby creating volumes of the partitions the guy who is responsible for DFSee created
>> for Her including installiing BM. So the best way is to remove BM, volumizing all existing partitions and formatting the FAT32 volumes, the R: and the
>> V: (this will house Win7 programs that She will install, not on the primary Win7 volume so it won't be clogged up. Or should She try installing ArcaOS
>> first when She have downloaded it via wget (the author of the ArcaOS suggested this method, bot what's the difference between wget and awget? The
>> Wget that's installed now is very old, so it should probably be deinstalled and the most current version installed instead, and wget / awget can
>> certainly be fetched via hobbes - Her NFTP/2 client is VERY reliable when it comes to downloading stuff from example hobbes.
>
> If you have a very new computer, ECS may need a newer version of ACPI, which Arca has. Why would you install both? If you have a new machine install
> the latest OS. For older computers, does not matter.

She believes in having various flavours of OS/2 on the new box, first a
hotted-up WSeB with the latest ACPI, AHCI, MultiMac, UniAud and perhaps
other software too. eCs 2.1 (both Home and Business edition, got that
for free from a guy at Mensys) and ArcaOS. eCs is required for using the
SVTPlay function in a FF31 browser as it requires a Flash11 plugin plus
the latest Odin, and the Flash11 is only licensed for eCs, not WSeB or
ArcaOS (the guy responsible for ArcaOS pushes Her to only use ArcaOS as
he say that eCs 2.1 (any version) are dead, but She suspects that's only
sales talk. The new box is a Dell T22 w/8Gib RAM, a 2-core CPU and 2
500Gib HD's. In the BIOS the fields for the SATA HD can be set to ACPI
(or should it be AHCI?), SATA, ATA and RAID, so perhaps downgrading the
setting to SATA and install the latest DaniS50S and ACPI drivers can
solve this thing - it's stated in the docs for the DaniS506 that it can
control most SATA controllers by itself.

Btw, you said that when reinstalling WarpIN on the old box, She should
rename or copy the database file, delete the WARPIN (the LIBPATH, DPATH
and BOOKSHELF in config.sys points to g:\os2ut\Warpin) so deleting the
stuff in the WarpIn dir minus the database and then execute the latest
WarpIn package so it will be installed. But after renaming back the
database, how does She connect it to the newly-installed WarpIN?

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-) Ex-wife deceased :-(
Team OS/2 e-mail: cribo.j...@gaea.se (Primary)

Christer Jacobsson

May 8, 2020, 12:43:20 AM5/8/20
os...@wisdomtree.info wrote:
> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 27 Apr 2020 12:00:01 +0000

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> Whhere woould the syncdir backup land, and can the location be specified and should the syncdir program be placed at the TOP of the mailer-invoking
>> *.cmd file? On She have 3.8Gib of space on a newly-created W: partition meant to house the download of ArcaOS when She and Her trustee have paid
>> the for the 1-year subscription that allows Her to download not only ArcaOS but other programs, utils and suchlike.
>
> All parameters can be set, at the top of cmd file is suitable.

Where can She find it? Hobbes perhaps? Have an excellent and trustworthy
ftp client here namely NFTP/2 both in FS and Windowed OS/2 version.

>> What do you mean by that Syncdir removes unneded files, for example the various nstmp folders that contains files? She fervently hopes that it don't
>> remove files from the Mail & Newsgroups structures as that would spell doom for the mailer :-(
>
> A synchronize tool creates an exact copy, xcopy only copies never removes so in time is not a mirror, unless files in directory never change in number,
> only size.
>
>> Another tack - She have trouble installing the eCs 2.1 Business Edition on the new box, it TRAPS after doing the setup phase and reboot via F10. Now
>> the Quick Installation Guide says that bootable floppies can be created, but as the new box is empty of any OS at present, could it be done on the old
>> box? With the bootable floppies She could get access to LVM, thereby creating volumes of the partitions the guy who is responsible for DFSee created
>> for Her including installiing BM. So the best way is to remove BM, volumizing all existing partitions and formatting the FAT32 volumes, the R: and the
>> V: (this will house Win7 programs that She will install, not on the primary Win7 volume so it won't be clogged up. Or should She try installing ArcaOS
>> first when She have downloaded it via wget (the author of the ArcaOS suggested this method, bot what's the difference between wget and awget? The
>> Wget that's installed now is very old, so it should probably be deinstalled and the most current version installed instead, and wget / awget can
>> certainly be fetched via hobbes - Her NFTP/2 client is VERY reliable when it comes to downloading stuff from example hobbes.
>
> If you have a very new computer, ECS may need a newer version of ACPI, which Arca has. Why would you install both? If you have a new machine install
> the latest OS. For older computers, does not matter.

She must pony up $65 to renew the subscription on ArcaNoae's site so She
can download drivers and ArcaOS itself. But can a new version of AHCI be
found on the XEU site? It seems to be an self-extracting .EXE file, so
should She expand it first and place it on a floppy or does it suffice
to put the self-extracting file on a floppy so the install process will
run it and install it?

Btw, durst She reindex the Sent folder on the old profile or wait after
tha new profile is created and then reidex the Sent folder? She have
sent mail but they don't show up in the Sent folder and the Settings for
the mailer under the "Mail & Newsgroup" setting and there it's stated
that a Sent mail should go to the Sent folder under the mail account,
not to any local file. And when it comes to the Helper section in the
Profile manager, can She just leave them out - the only one that She
uses is for opening .pdf document via a lucide.cmd file which is global.
She's an old command line hound and does most of the work via the
cmdline, in this case 4os2 instead of the standard command.exe file. For
example if you are in the y:sound dir and want to jump to another dir,
for example g:\ftp\brides, just do a CDD brides and She lands there just
fine. The 4os2 is still under developement and new versions appears now
and then, but what is the latest version of 4OS2 and 4NT? Will have this
in the Win7 on the new box.