Re: alternate profile

1 view

os...@wisdomtree.info

Mar 6, 2020, 10:32:07 AM3/6/20
to dev-po...@lists.mozilla.org
** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Fri, 06 Mar 2020 12:00:01 +0000

> In the "intl.charsetmenu.browser.cache" it's Windows-1252, KOI8-R, ISO-8859-1, us-ascii and UTF-8 In the "intl.charsetmenu.composer.cache" it's
> iso-8859.1, UTF-8, windows-1252 In the "intl.charsetmenu.mailview.cache" it's UTF-8, Win-1252, ISO-8859-15, ISO-8859-1, Win-1251

If you use the same mozilla version with new profile, the same character sets should function. Why would it be different this time?

> So the question is: Should all these charsets be present in the new and fresh profile "Brekke" or can they be left out except UTF-8. And She just
> checked the Sent folder - it's readable and searcable but lacks the posts after 2008. So should She try to reconstruct it by joining the extant Sent
> folder with the info in the z:\tmp file or accept the loss? After all, this crash also cleared out all the file attachments, i.e. tunes, sent to a guy with the
> surname of Kaldani.. With a new and fresh profile, She can begin to send tunes to him again, especially tunes that pertains to the upcoming March, 8 -

If you retain notes from 2008 I would expect your mail files to have corruption. Occurs to plenty of people who do not trim their mail files. The larger the
mail files, the greater the possiibility of failure. Another fellow on a different list had a 500mb inbox file and now is corrupted, was looking for an editor to
manully reconstruct his inbox. Few editors handle such large files. Better to delete notes or copy information elsewhere than to leave forever in mail
folder.

> With a new and freshly created profile, these pesky "blocking" messages should go away. they are prima facie that the current profile is sick, likewise
> it's disabillity to place outgoing mails in the Sent folder. Btw, will the creation of the new profile also create a new xxxxxxxx.slt catalog in the
> r:\mozilla.org\mozilla tree?

The *.slt directory name can be renamed later to something normal.

> Addendum: Does the various newsgroups have their own adress books or are they contained in the Adress book for emails?

Likely same address book, check your original.

> After all, this crash also cleared out all the file attachments, i.e. tunes, sent to a guy with the surname of Kaldani.. With a new and fresh profile, She can
> begin to send tunes to him again, especially tunes that pertains to the upcoming March, 8 - the International Women's Day - She's a feminist since She

> With a new and freshly created profile, these pesky "blocking" messages should go away. they are prima facie that the current profile is sick, likewise
> it's disabillity to place outgoing mails in the Sent folder. Btw, will the creation of the new profile also create a new xxxxxxxx.slt catalog in the
> r:\mozilla.org\mozilla tree?

Create a new profile and begin testing. You could use the same email address in another profile and start SM with alternate profile.

Cal

Christer Jacobsson

Mar 9, 2020, 3:31:38 AM3/9/20
os...@wisdomtree.info wrote:
> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Fri, 06 Mar 2020 12:00:01 +0000

As Salaam Aleikum!

>> In the "intl.charsetmenu.browser.cache" it's Windows-1252, KOI8-R, ISO-8859-1, us-ascii and UTF-8 In the "intl.charsetmenu.composer.cache" it's
>> iso-8859.1, UTF-8, windows-1252 In the "intl.charsetmenu.mailview.cache" it's UTF-8, Win-1252, ISO-8859-15, ISO-8859-1, Win-1251
>
> If you use the same mozilla version with new profile, the same character sets should function. Why would it be different this time?

She will use SMPMW118 for the new profile, will not migrate to 2.1 after
some flavour of eCs is installed in it and all the data on the old
box are transferred to the new one. AND a decent backup program is
installed on this old box and be carried over to the new one - will make
this program visible on more than one os/2 and eCs partitions so if for
example a "hotted up" WSeB crashes then it can be restored from an eCs
OS using the this backup/restore program. As we don't have money to get
hold of a NAS box, the backups must be store on a 64Gib USB stick (usb
2.0 for now, Arca Noae are developing USB 3.0 drivers for their ArcaOS
os which have it's root in OS/2. She is an old OS/2 user after She get
hand of the OS/2 2.0beta version. After installing it on a box in 1993,
She liked it so She didn't go the WinStupid way - will only use Win7 on
the new box for tasks that can't be done in os2 / eCs like accessing the
e-identifier which have only have two flavours, one for Win7 and up and
for Mac, not for Linux or any flavour of os2 / eCs.

>> So the question is: Should all these charsets be present in the new and fresh profile "Brekke" or can they be left out except UTF-8. And She just
>> checked the Sent folder - it's readable and searcable but lacks the posts after 2008. So should She try to reconstruct it by joining the extant Sent
>> folder with the info in the z:\tmp file or accept the loss? After all, this crash also cleared out all the file attachments, i.e. tunes, sent to a guy with the
>> surname of Kaldani.. With a new and fresh profile, She can begin to send tunes to him again, especially tunes that pertains to the upcoming March, 8 -
>
> If you retain notes from 2008 I would expect your mail files to have corruption. Occurs to plenty of people who do not trim their mail files. The larger the
> mail files, the greater the possiibility of failure. Another fellow on a different list had a 500mb inbox file and now is corrupted, was looking for an editor to
> manully reconstruct his inbox. Few editors handle such large files. Better to delete notes or copy information elsewhere than to leave forever in mail
> folder.

She haven't trimmed down the Sent folder, it had been clobbered when the
crash in the mailer occured - before the crash it contained Sent mails
upto the crash, i.e. 2020. The crash occured when She tried to send a
tune to this guy She mentioned above, and the size of that tune was
14Mib. Have sent a tune wich was about 20Mib in size, and that was in
2017 and SMPMW118 sent it correctly to Her buddy who likes music, both
"commercial", "progg" and clasic music like JSB's organ works (JSB ==
Johann Sebastian Bach, the King of the organ :-).

>> With a new and freshly created profile, these pesky "blocking" messages should go away. they are prima facie that the current profile is sick, likewise
>> it's disabillity to place outgoing mails in the Sent folder. Btw, will the creation of the new profile also create a new xxxxxxxx.slt catalog in the
>> r:\mozilla.org\mozilla tree?
>
> The *.slt directory name can be renamed later to something normal.

Not directly, one have to go into the registry.dat file to do that,
there's a page with mozilla tips and tricks that explains how to do
that, but Her browser is too low to access the page, so it would be
easier to let the new profile creation construct the name by itself.
With a higher browser, i.e. FF31 on the new box (FF31 would be too slow
on this 'ole box.

>> Addendum: Does the various newsgroups have their own adress books or are they contained in the Adress book for emails?
>
> Likely same address book, check your original.

Will do that, one of the goals for creating a new profile is that She
can access the various ecomstation newsgroups again.

Btw, do you have any experience with ProNews/2? The current version went
bonkers after a unplanned reboot so that after that every messages went
into the same newsgroup. So She thinks that opening the old ProNews in
offline mode and bring up the Settings notebook, opening a fresh Pronews
instance, also in offline mode, just tick off the old settings in the
fresh session, close them down and then deleting the Settings file in
the old Pronews version and just plop in the new Settings file into it
should clear up this problem so that She can begin using it again.

>> After all, this crash also cleared out all the file attachments, i.e. tunes, sent to a guy with the surname of Kaldani.. With a new and fresh profile, She can
>> begin to send tunes to him again, especially tunes that pertains to the upcoming March, 8 - the International Women's Day - She's a feminist since She
>
>> With a new and freshly created profile, these pesky "blocking" messages should go away. they are prima facie that the current profile is sick, likewise
>> it's disabillity to place outgoing mails in the Sent folder. Btw, will the creation of the new profile also create a new xxxxxxxx.slt catalog in the
>> r:\mozilla.org\mozilla tree?
>
> Create a new profile and begin testing. You could use the same email address in another profile and start SM with alternate profile.

You bet bet that She will use the current email adress
"cribo.j...@gaea.se" (created Her own domain via Her small hobby
firm GAEA Data - this was before physical persions could create their
own domain name. Though Her IRL name soon will be changed to Lessa
Mirrimdotter, the email adress will be the same so as to avoid
confusions on variou sites, for example Mensys, Arca Noae and others.

Cul8er alligator!
gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-) Ex-wife deceased :-(
Team OS/2 e-mail: cribo.j...@gaea.se (Primary)