Re: backup tool

os...@wisdomtree.info

Mar 23, 2020, 9:05:26 AM3/23/20
to dev-po...@lists.mozilla.org
** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 23 Mar 2020 12:00:02 +0000

> > Used Dsync for 2 decades, free and functions. Try it.
>
> Can it backup the whole system, i.e. all os2-visible partitions to an USB stick formatted in JFS because JSF can take files greater than 2Gib in size. And
> She will have two USB sticks for backup/restore function, the 1st is for Week1, the 2nd is for Week2. Can EasySync backup cat/files where changes

Do you mean usb flash memory sticks? Would never use those for system backup. They are made for quick temporary transfer or permanent files that
are read. Constantly writing to such sticks is asking for trouble. For backup use a hard disk connected with a usb cable.

> have taken place, for example in the mailer and FF where for example bookmarks and history are changed? With PM Backup, She can set up a backup
> scheme where the whole system is backed up every Saturdan and Incremental backups done on Sun-Fri, then switch USB stick to the 2nd one for the
> week after the first FULL backup and doing the Full + Incr backups for week two. Then switch back to the 1st USB stick and repeat the cycle again. Did
> just that when She backed up to a DAT74 tape with BackAgain Pro, had two tapes, one for week1 and the 2nd for Week2.

Backup seems to have several meanings depending on who is writing the word. Replace backup with "mirror" or "synchronize". All tools discussed will
mirror main hard disk. If you wish to do a full copy each week, use xcopy. Why would you continously copy files that have not changed? Each time a file is
copied introduces a potential corruption and wears out your disk.

Dsync uses a config file whic is an easy to read text file. You set what you want and it does it. Also found copying large amounts of data at one time over
usb cable can overrun the usb bus and process stops. Example: you have 4 partitions to mirror.

In config add first partition, entire files will be copied.
Next time add second partition, first partition only changed files copied, second partition full copy.
then third and fourth partition.
Now next time only modified files will be copied from 4 partitions, and backup is complete in 3 minutes. Everything is mirrored.

If you have 2 drives as backup have them use the same drive letters and process will be the same regardless of which drive is plugged in.

> Btw, why shouln't She use the Migrate Mail function to the new profile rather than the "hand copy" method you suggested? It's not only the mail that
> must be migrated, the Newsgroups must also be migrated AND the Adress Book, too. Are there risks using the Migrate function for mail&newsgroups
> that She isn't aware of?

Then try it. If Migrate take corrupted files and makes them pristine, then great. Nobody else on the list has indicated that occurs. I would want to know
which file is corrupted.

Cal

Christer Jacobsson

Mar 26, 2020, 3:47:55 AM3/26/20
os...@wisdomtree.info wrote:
> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 23 Mar 2020 12:00:02 +0000

As Salaam Aleikum!

>>> Used Dsync for 2 decades, free and functions. Try it.
>>
>> Can it backup the whole system, i.e. all os2-visible partitions to an USB stick formatted in JFS because JSF can take files greater than 2Gib in size. And
>> She will have two USB sticks for backup/restore function, the 1st is for Week1, the 2nd is for Week2. Can EasySync backup cat/files where changes
>
> Do you mean usb flash memory sticks? Would never use those for system backup. They are made for quick temporary transfer or permanent files that
> are read. Constantly writing to such sticks is asking for trouble. For backup use a hard disk connected with a usb cable.

Must this HD be assigned a drive letter as an USB stick must have? And
how does She setup a 2-week backup scedule
How much would a 64-256Gib HD cost? And when we are at the backup
business, where can She find a decent backup/restore too for Her Win7
system in the new box, and can it backup to the same HD than the os2
backup will place it's data? When She and her trustee have enough funds
on hand She will switch to a NAS box plus some Linux program plus
FreeNas - as *nix don't recognize drive letters, it should be possible
to backup the WHOLE system, both Win7 (NTFS), V: (FAT32 for installing
Win7 programs), the installed OS'es (hpfs), data partitions (HPFS and
FAT32) and the JFS partition. Will create the JFS partition in
Compatability mode rather than LVM mode as She will create it big enough
to house only files that are >2Gib in size, so no need to expand it, but
if it must be expanded, DFSee can do it and lastly on the 500Gib HD,
some flavour of Linux will be installed, for example Ubuntu - it's free
and it comes with a decent install program, or are there other flavours
of Linux that are better? A guy used something called "Orange linux" and
FREENas to backup his whole system to a NAS box.

>> have taken place, for example in the mailer and FF where for example bookmarks and history are changed? With PM Backup, She can set up a backup
>> scheme where the whole system is backed up every Saturdan and Incremental backups done on Sun-Fri, then switch USB stick to the 2nd one for the
>> week after the first FULL backup and doing the Full + Incr backups for week two. Then switch back to the 1st USB stick and repeat the cycle again. Did
>> just that when She backed up to a DAT74 tape with BackAgain Pro, had two tapes, one for week1 and the 2nd for Week2.
>
> Backup seems to have several meanings depending on who is writing the word. Replace backup with "mirror" or "synchronize". All tools discussed will
> mirror main hard disk. If you wish to do a full copy each week, use xcopy. Why would you continously copy files that have not changed? Each time a file is
> copied introduces a potential corruption and wears out your disk.
>
> Dsync uses a config file whic is an easy to read text file. You set what you want and it does it. Also found copying large amounts of data at one time over
> usb cable can overrun the usb bus and process stops. Example: you have 4 partitions to mirror.
>
> In config add first partition, entire files will be copied.
> Next time add second partition, first partition only changed files copied, second partition full copy.
> then third and fourth partition.
> Now next time only modified files will be copied from 4 partitions, and backup is complete in 3 minutes. Everything is mirrored.
>
> If you have 2 drives as backup have them use the same drive letters and process will be the same regardless of which drive is plugged in.
>
>> Btw, why shouln't She use the Migrate Mail function to the new profile rather than the "hand copy" method you suggested? It's not only the mail that
>> must be migrated, the Newsgroups must also be migrated AND the Adress Book, too. Are there risks using the Migrate function for mail&newsgroups
>> that She isn't aware of?
>
> Then try it. If Migrate take corrupted files and makes them pristine, then great. Nobody else on the list has indicated that occurs. I would want to know
> which file is corrupted.

It was the Sent folder that got corrupted, not the Inbox, bus as the old
profile is sick nearly every incoming mails are flagged that the mailer
won't display "external" content unless She press the switch "Show
<content> (haven't the complete message in Her head) - this error began
to assert itself long ago, so with a new profile and the inbox migrated
"by hand", this message should disappear. And after the new profile
"Brekke" is created, then it's time to migrate the Inbox and Sent
folders "by hand" as you indicated. But how should She migrate the
Adress Book? It's NOT corrupted in any way. And when we are at it, what
in the nine purple hells of Palain does the various nstmp-x folders do?
Can they be deleted, either before the migration or after the migration?

She will also insert a xcopy for the Sent folder, can it be done with a
statement like this: "XCOPY Sent*.* z:\Sent /V /O at the top of the .cmd
file whick kicks off SMPMW118 - do you think that this will work?

PS. Now it's finished - Her new name is from now Lessa Mirrimdotter,
Lessa and Mirrim comes from Anne McCaffreys universe about the
dragonriders of Pern, Lessa being sthe strongest Wyerwoman (she have
enormous telepathic power and is telepathically bonded with her queen
dragon) and Mirrim became a dragonrider (it's the newly hatched
dragonets that chooses it's human partner, not the other way around).
She have the complete set of these books, from the 1st named
"Dragonriders to the last "All the Weyrs of Pern". Often does She have
gone to the bookshelf and pulled down a volume for reading, but She also
likes the king of space opera namely E. E. 'Doc Smith with his Lensman
book series.

gaea - feminist & chunkawakan
--
/GAIA (Insulin User - 24th Anniversary :-) Ex-wife deceased :-(
Team OS/2 e-mail: cribo.j...@gaea.se (Primary)

Christer Jacobsson

Mar 29, 2020, 3:55:34 AM3/29/20
os...@wisdomtree.info wrote:
> ** Reply to note from dev-ports-...@lists.mozilla.org Mon, 23 Mar 2020 12:00:02 +0000

As Salaam Aleikum!

>>> Used Dsync for 2 decades, free and functions. Try it.
>>
>> Can it backup the whole system, i.e. all os2-visible partitions to an USB stick formatted in JFS because JSF can take files greater than 2Gib in size. And
>> She will have two USB sticks for backup/restore function, the 1st is for Week1, the 2nd is for Week2. Can EasySync backup cat/files where changes
>
> Do you mean usb flash memory sticks? Would never use those for system backup. They are made for quick temporary transfer or permanent files that
> are read. Constantly writing to such sticks is asking for trouble. For backup use a hard disk connected with a usb cable.

Must this HD be assigned a drive letter as an USB stick must have? And
how does She setup a 2-week backup scedule
How much would a 64-256Gib HD cost? And when we are at the backup
business, where can She find a decent backup/restore too for Her Win7
system in the new box, and can it backup to the same HD than the os2
backup will place it's data? When She and her trustee have enough funds
on hand She will switch to a NAS box plus some Linux program plus
FreeNas - as *nix don't recognize drive letters, it should be possible
to backup the WHOLE system, both Win7 (NTFS), V: (FAT32 for installing
Win7 programs), the installed OS'es (hpfs), data partitions (HPFS and
FAT32) and the JFS partition. Will create the JFS partition in
Compatability mode rather than LVM mode as She will create it big enough
to house only files that are >2Gib in size, so no need to expand it, but
if it must be expanded, DFSee can do it and lastly on the 500Gib HD,
some flavour of Linux will be installed, for example Ubuntu - it's free
and it comes with a decent install program, or are there other flavours
of Linux that are better? A guy used something called "Orange linux" and
FREENas to backup his whole system to a NAS box.

>> have taken place, for example in the mailer and FF where for example bookmarks and history are changed? With PM Backup, She can set up a backup
>> scheme where the whole system is backed up every Saturdan and Incremental backups done on Sun-Fri, then switch USB stick to the 2nd one for the
>> week after the first FULL backup and doing the Full + Incr backups for week two. Then switch back to the 1st USB stick and repeat the cycle again. Did
>> just that when She backed up to a DAT74 tape with BackAgain Pro, had two tapes, one for week1 and the 2nd for Week2.
>
> Backup seems to have several meanings depending on who is writing the word. Replace backup with "mirror" or "synchronize". All tools discussed will
> mirror main hard disk. If you wish to do a full copy each week, use xcopy. Why would you continously copy files that have not changed? Each time a file is
> copied introduces a potential corruption and wears out your disk.

Her boxes, both the old and new are SERVERS i.e. they are expected to
run 356/7/24 with really sturdy hardware in them so they are NOT some
cheapo PC you can buy at ordinary stores that sells boxes with some Win
in Swedish language preinstalled. Servers on the other hand are empty of
any OS when bought so one can choose with OS'es should be install - in
Her case, Win7/34bit in English, eCs 2.1, eCs Business version which a
guy at Mensys sen Her for free AND with the regkeys included :-) So this
will go in first, then transfer data from the old server to the new,
pull home eCs 2.1 which She already have bought, install it and lastly
after repairing WarpIn in the old box, hot up WSeB so it can handle new
hardware and then transfer that to the new box - have so many dependices
in it, so losing it will be a real torture to re-establish these
dependices in some eCs install. She uses Object Desktop/2 and Process
Commander/2 in WSeB, but the media for installing them in the various
eCs's, so She will contact Stardock and ask them for sending Her
replacement for these program - She have proof that She have bought them
so they can send the boxed version to Her - OD/2 and PC/2 are extremely
good software, and She will install them in the various eCs's.
> Dsync uses a config file whic is an easy to read text file. You set what you want and it does it. Also found copying large amounts of data at one time over
> usb cable can overrun the usb bus and process stops. Example: you have 4 partitions to mirror.
>
> In config add first partition, entire files will be copied.
> Next time add second partition, first partition only changed files copied, second partition full copy.
> then third and fourth partition.
> Now next time only modified files will be copied from 4 partitions, and backup is complete in 3 minutes. Everything is mirrored.

That will be very tedious as She have 10+ partitions/volumes on the old
box, for example the H: partition contains Her old BBS software so when
the new box is up and running She will connect to the Swedish FidoNet
which is still alive and kicking.

> If you have 2 drives as backup have them use the same drive letters and process will be the same regardless of which drive is plugged in.
>
>> Btw, why shouln't She use the Migrate Mail function to the new profile rather than the "hand copy" method you suggested? It's not only the mail that
>> must be migrated, the Newsgroups must also be migrated AND the Adress Book, too. Are there risks using the Migrate function for mail&newsgroups
>> that She isn't aware of?
>
> Then try it. If Migrate take corrupted files and makes them pristine, then great. Nobody else on the list has indicated that occurs. I would want to know
> which file is corrupted.

And lastly, how does She migrate the Adress book to the new profile?