Lets talk about removing m.d.p.mobile

Doug Turner

Mar 13, 2013, 1:22:55 PM3/13/13
When the mobile newsgroup/mailing list was created, the world was
different. Embedded Linux (remember OE or Maemo), Windows CE, and
Symbian were the coolest kids on the block. Also during that time,
Mobile was very much a separate thing at Mozilla.

Today, things are *very* different. Mobile issues are platform issues.
Mobile UI issues are Firefox issues.

Given that things are much more integrated, do we really need to have a
separate newsgroup for these things? I am on the fence, but I really do
not see how it benefits the team. Instead, I think we should be
communicating with the core people that read platform and planning.

Looking over the last couple months of traffic, it looks like the most
common post is from Karen who is announcing some the Android planning
meeting. I'd argue that sort of announcement should go to the .planning
mailing list. Other emails nicely fit into one of the two other mailing
lists.

So, I'd like to remove m.d.p.mobile in favor of using the platform and
planning mailing lists.

I'd like to also add a new *mailing* list for discussion on Fennec
application specific topics. We can name this dev-firefox-mobile
(similar to what gavin created for FF desktop).

Thoughts?

Asa Dotzler

Mar 13, 2013, 3:11:09 PM3/13/13
That sounds right to me.

I'm of the view that we have two major things going on at Mozilla, not
three. We have Firefox the browser and Firefox the OS.

Firefox the browser runs on Windows, Mac, Metro, and Android and each of
those OS/hardware versions share quite a bit in terms of the platform
and even the feature set. As touch comes to the "desktop" and tablets
grow into the premier consumer computing device, many of the
distinctions between "mobile" and "desktop" make even less sense.

- A

Doug Turner

Mar 16, 2013, 1:56:33 AM3/16/13
Sounds like we mostly have agreement. See bug 851772 and 851773 for the
follow up.