64-bit Mac OS X: build and run without patches on mozilla-central

Josh Aas

Dec 15, 2009, 6:23:25 PM12/15/09
to dsi...@mozilla.com
We can now make 64-bit Mac OS X builds without any patches on mozilla-
central. The port is pretty stable already though there are no real
plugins available for it. x86-64 is actually the default architecture
if you're building mozilla-central on Mac OS X 10.6. Setting up a
tinderbox is bug 519060.

Here are some perf numbers from early October 2009:

http://boomswaggerboom.wordpress.com/2009/10/01/64-bit-firefox-performance-on-mac-os-x/

We have not yet made any decisions about changing which architectures
we ship and officially support for Mac OS X.

Ehsan Akhgari

Dec 16, 2009, 9:16:51 PM12/16/09
to Josh Aas, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, dsi...@mozilla.com
I went ahead and updated the following MDC page:

https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Developer_Guide/Build_Instructions/Mac_OS_X_Prerequisites

Feel free to improve the documentation if needed.

--
Ehsan
<http://ehsanakhgari.org/>

Jean-Marc Desperrier

Dec 18, 2009, 7:57:39 AM12/18/09
Josh Aas wrote:
> We can now make 64-bit Mac OS X builds without any patches on mozilla-
> central. The port is pretty stable already though there are no real
> plugins available for it.

Not even the java plugin right ?

> We have not yet made any decisions about changing which architectures
> we ship and officially support for Mac OS X.

I thought there had been a decision to try to get it in for 3.7.