Re: Intent to Unship: <iframe mozbrowser> in content

Patrick Brosset

Feb 14, 2020, 2:48:34 PM2/14/20
to dev-platform, Firefox Dev
Thanks Kris.

Related to this: RDM (Responsive Design Mode, in DevTools) is one of the
consumers of <iframe mozbrowser>. We've been at work removing the
dependency from RDM on this type of iframe, and are nearing the completion
of the main bucket of work. By March this year, we should have a new, fully
functional version of RDM that does not depend on <iframe mozbrowser>.
The "old" RDM will still be in the tree by this date and we might not have
pref'd the new one on yet, but we'll be very close.

A simple completion chart for this project can be found at
https://arewefissionyet.com/devtools/ (under the RDM section).
In bugzilla, the whiteboard flag fission-rdm-mvp tracks the project:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=fission-rdm-mvp&list_id=15103084

Patrick

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 9:46 PM Kris Maglione <kmag...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> <iframe mozbrowser> in non-chrome documents has been unsupported
> in production environments for some time. Maintaining support
> for it in content processes has become increasingly difficult in
> the light of Fission, to the point that we've decided it is time
> to fully remove support. Since support is disabled by default,
> and there is no user-visible way to enable it, there should be
> no users in the wild. The only in-tree users are tests, which
> will need to be updated by their owners or disabled.
>
> Bug 1614462 will track this work.
>

> -Kris

Kris Maglione

Feb 14, 2020, 2:48:36 PM2/14/20
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org, Firefox Dev

Hiroyuki Birchill Ikezoe

Feb 18, 2020, 9:20:49 AM2/18/20
to Patrick Brosset, dev-platform, Firefox Dev
One caveat I should mention is that mobile viewport stuff (which is used in
RDM as well) relies on the fact that Document::IsTopLevelContentDocument
returns true. The function actually returns true for the document of
`<iframe mozbrowser>`. So please make sure it still returns true for the
replacement or add an equivalent function.

hiro