Bugzilla changes earlier this week and component/QA watching

31 views
Skip to first unread message

L. David Baron

unread,
Jul 6, 2012, 6:49:16 PM7/6/12
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
SUMMARY: Due to bugzilla changes earlier this week you may need to
update your Bugzilla email preferences to continue receiving email
for components that you watch.

Some major Bugzilla changes were made earlier this week that broke
people's setups for email watching. In particular, based on things
I've overheard:

* people who were watching the "dummy" QA contacts for components
were migrated to using component watching, and those default QA
contacts have been changed to be empty (though existing bugs
don't get the new defaults unless they get moved to a new
component or otherwise reset to default)

* email preferences for QA contact watching in
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email were
migrated to the "Component" column (I think this happened
earlier, when that column was created)

* However, with component watching, whether you get mail when a new
bug is moved into the component you watch is controlled by "The
product or component changes" row [1] in the email preferences rather
than the "I'm added to or removed from this capacity" row as it
was for QA contact watching.

This third point means that if you depend on component / QA contact
watching to learn when there are new bugs in the component that you
watch, you should go to
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email and make sure
that the "The product or component changes" row in your email
preferences is checked in the "Component" column (or perhaps all
columns).

-David

(though somebody else really should have announced this here)

[1] new, added in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=731526
as a suboptimal fix for
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=731069

--
ğ„ž L. David Baron http://dbaron.org/ 𝄂
𝄢 Mozilla http://www.mozilla.org/ 𝄂

Boris Zbarsky

unread,
Jul 6, 2012, 6:59:12 PM7/6/12
to
On 7/6/12 6:49 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
> * However, with component watching, whether you get mail when a new
> bug is moved into the component you watch is controlled by "The
> product or component changes" row [1] in the email preferences rather
> than the "I'm added to or removed from this capacity" row as it
> was for QA contact watching.

Is there a reason this wasn't just auto-migrated?

-Boris

Anthony Hughes

unread,
Jul 6, 2012, 7:00:48 PM7/6/12
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
FYI, QA is currently developing a new workflow which will see staff,
contractors, and volunteer contributors taking "QA ownership" over
components in Bugzilla. Giving the QA Contact field back to QA was a
necessary first stop. We hope this improves the flow of bugs through
Bugzilla and appreciate your patience in this time of transition.

Thank you

On 06/07/12 03:49 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
> SUMMARY: Due to bugzilla changes earlier this week you may need to
> update your Bugzilla email preferences to continue receiving email
> for components that you watch.
>
> Some major Bugzilla changes were made earlier this week that broke
> people's setups for email watching. In particular, based on things
> I've overheard:
>
> * people who were watching the "dummy" QA contacts for components
> were migrated to using component watching, and those default QA
> contacts have been changed to be empty (though existing bugs
> don't get the new defaults unless they get moved to a new
> component or otherwise reset to default)
>
> * email preferences for QA contact watching in
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email were
> migrated to the "Component" column (I think this happened
> earlier, when that column was created)
>
> * However, with component watching, whether you get mail when a new
> bug is moved into the component you watch is controlled by "The
> product or component changes" row [1] in the email preferences rather
> than the "I'm added to or removed from this capacity" row as it
> was for QA contact watching.
>
> This third point means that if you depend on component / QA contact
> watching to learn when there are new bugs in the component that you
> watch, you should go to
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/userprefs.cgi?tab=email and make sure
> that the "The product or component changes" row in your email
> preferences is checked in the "Component" column (or perhaps all
> columns).
>
> -David
>
> (though somebody else really should have announced this here)
>
> [1] new, added in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=731526
> as a suboptimal fix for
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=731069
>


--
Anthony Hughes
Mozilla Quality Engineer

Asa Dotzler

unread,
Jul 6, 2012, 7:33:12 PM7/6/12
to
I had thought all of the things to keep continuity for watchers would
have been automatically migrated. If not, that's unfortunate.

- A

Byron Jones

unread,
Jul 9, 2012, 4:43:57 AM7/9/12
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
L. David Baron wrote:
> SUMMARY: Due to bugzilla changes earlier this week you may need to
> update your Bugzilla email preferences to continue receiving email
> for components that you watch.
thanks dbaron; sorry about not sending this email myself :(
> * (though existing bugs
> don't get the new defaults unless they get moved to a new
> component or otherwise reset to default)
existing bugs did get updated, in all just over 450,000 bugs were updated.

Boris Zbarsky wrote:

> On 7/6/12 6:49 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
>> * However, with component watching, whether you get mail when a new
>> bug is moved into the component you watch is controlled by "The
>> product or component changes" row [1] in the email preferences
>> rather
>> than the "I'm added to or removed from this capacity" row as it
>> was for QA contact watching.
> Is there a reason this wasn't just auto-migrated?
when that preference was added, the default values were copied from the
"other" column (which is the old setting which governed these sorts of
changes). if you had 'other' unchecked (like dbaron does), then
component changes will be initialed to unchecked too.

copying it across from the qa-contact settings wouldn't have worked, as
some teams/component have always used the qa-contact field as a real
qa-contact, so we can't make assumptions behind the intent of a user's
email preferences (this is why the number of bugs updated during the
migration is less than the total number of bugs on the system).

Asa Dotzler wrote:
> I had thought all of the things to keep continuity for watchers would
> have been automatically migrated. If not, that's unfortunate.
by and large they were; however we can't cleanly migrate all settings
across - for example if someone is using both user watching and
component watching with conflicting preferences, their component
watching preferences won't be updated.



--
byron - irc:glob - bugzilla.mozilla.org team -

Boris Zbarsky

unread,
Jul 9, 2012, 9:52:44 AM7/9/12
to
On 7/9/12 4:43 AM, Byron Jones wrote:
> when that preference was added, the default values were copied from the
> "other" column (which is the old setting which governed these sorts of
> changes). if you had 'other' unchecked (like dbaron does), then
> component changes will be initialed to unchecked too.

Yes, but the point is that for QA contact "when I'm added or removed"
used to be exactly equivalent to "when the component changes" for the
most part....

It would have been really nice to have a heads-up about this so that
people could fix their preferences _before_ you flipped the switch. As
it was, a bunch of time was wasted manually searching for bugs about
which mail had been missed. :( That's assuming people searched,
instead of bugs just falling through the cracks.

-Boris

Byron Jones

unread,
Jul 9, 2012, 10:25:06 AM7/9/12
to dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> It would have been really nice to have a heads-up about this so that
> people could fix their preferences _before_ you flipped the switch.
> As it was, a bunch of time was wasted manually searching for bugs
> about which mail had been missed. :( That's assuming people
> searched, instead of bugs just falling through the cracks.
i agree that my announcement on my planet syndicated blog prior to this
migration should have been much more verbose about possible impacts on
bugmail, and i apologise for any confusion this caused. i'll endeavour
to be more communicative in future.

Robert Kaiser

unread,
Jul 9, 2012, 11:54:09 AM7/9/12
to
L. David Baron schrieb:
> * people who were watching the "dummy" QA contacts for components
> were migrated to using component watching

Should this have happened across the board? Looks like none of my
watches have been converted.

Robert Kaiser

Justin Lebar

unread,
Jul 9, 2012, 12:10:34 PM7/9/12
to Robert Kaiser, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
FWIW only one of mine was converted. (My b2g watch.)

Byron Jones

unread,
Jul 9, 2012, 12:15:55 PM7/9/12
to Robert Kaiser, dev-pl...@lists.mozilla.org
no one's settings were converted from user watching to watching components.

https://globau.wordpress.com/2012/07/09/qa-contact-changes/ has a little
more information about this.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages