Custom FireFox build with garbage collection

BigPilot

Jul 18, 2011, 4:09:12 PM7/18/11

I'm working on a custom FireFox build with garbage collection to see if I
can improve performance and reduce memory consumption. I have a custom build
available if people are willing to test it (at their own risk). I will make
source code available so people have to be able to make a FF build
themselves (which is pretty straightforward if you follow the directions on
the web).

The build I made modifies some of the pointers in the source code of the
\content\html source directory with garbage collected pointers.

I also tried to modify code in the \layout\base directory but that didn't
result in a stable executable (i.e. the program crashed at startup).

Let me know if you are interested in testing. I've only touched a small part
of FF's code so don't expect dramatic performance increases immediately. I'm
more interested in seeing if things keep working the way they are supposed
to.

Cheers, BigPilot

Justin Dolske

Jul 18, 2011, 9:50:04 PM7/18/11
On 7/18/11 1:09 PM, BigPilot wrote:

> I'm working on a custom FireFox build with garbage collection to see if I
> can improve performance and reduce memory consumption.

Hmm? What exactly are you doing?

You'd get better feedback if you just point us at the source/build
modifications, instead of a random binary.

Justin