Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 3/16

davidwboswell

Mar 18, 2009, 5:06:49 PM3/18/09
Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 3/16

Present: davidwboswell, ss, kairo, Tiffney Mortensen and Mark Surman

This planning meeting was specifically focused on content issues
related to the redesign project. We used the following draft content
outline for discussion:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/Redesign/Content_Notes

Overall impressions, comments, and suggestions on initial design
concepts:

- Too many design elements visible at first glance

- Only three products on the front page is probably too little. All
the major brands should be represented in some way

- How do any of those three designs fit on a mobile device?

Top level navigation, footer navigation

Sam explained that for the first and second designs the top level
navigation changed.

There are a lot of questions regarding a "Get Involved" or
"Contribute" button. Should we have one? Should it be in the header or
footer? Pages as they are now don't have "get involved" content at the
page level.

Our major tools need to be obvious to someone who doesn't know Mozilla
well. Developer center, for example, should be accessible within one
or two clicks. Should there be a link to Mozilla Developer Center in
the footer?

"The" versus "Our" -- Should top level nav buttons read "the mission"
or "our mission" and so on? Or should they just read "mission"?

We may need some better words for nav buttons -- mission, about,
contribute, etc. may possibly sound a little sterile. Are there more
active words or more Mozilla-ish terms? "Mission" needs to make it
obvious to users that it's more than just the Manifesto or a basic
mission statement.

Body in general

The homepage specifically is an area that needs development.

Links to various facets of the project -- Should we list the dozen or
so projects? Is that too much? Should we have Firefox, Thunderbird,
and then a random project that rotates? A drop-down menu?

News and blog feeds -- Right now mozilla.org has three feeds, which
often present redundant information. Should we have one slot for
official Mozilla news, and another that is community/unofficial? How
can we utilize the Mozilla newsletter? Does Mozillazine belong on the
home page? While we definitely need to streamline the sources of
information into an efficient, accessible source, we need to leave
some room for chaos to indicate the volume and vibrancy of the
community. We need to use some of the energy of the community to make
the homepage feel alive. While the main page should be tidy, it should
be easy for users to find the massive cloud of blogs, news and
information should they want to see it.

What foundation concepts should be included where? Will people visit
the site to find out about the legal organizations of the website? How
should the Mozilla foundation information be included? Should some
basic information should be in the footer?

Could there be a rotating section with three slots for Foundation
activities? This could highlight activities, mission-based call to
action, manifesto, accessibility, and activities beyond software.

Benjamin Smedberg

Mar 19, 2009, 11:16:39 AM3/19/09
On 3/18/09 5:06 PM, davidwboswell wrote:
> Notes from www.mozilla.org planning meeting on 3/16
>
> Present: davidwboswell, ss, kairo, Tiffney Mortensen and Mark Surman
>
> This planning meeting was specifically focused on content issues
> related to the redesign project. We used the following draft content
> outline for discussion:
>
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org/Redesign/Content_Notes

I've been watching these meeting notes go by with passive interest, but
after reading these I thought I'd comment: the current designs seem to try
to present "What Mozilla Is" at the expense of "What is the user trying to
accomplish".

Do we have statistics about people coming to www.mozilla.org currently? Are
they trying to download Firefox? Thunderbird? Submit bugs? Find something
about the Mozilla education initiative or other things that are recent news?

I imagine, without any data, that most people coming to www.mozilla.org are
actually looking for one the following things:

* To download Firefox
* To get end-user support for Firefox
* To download some other Mozilla or Mozilla-related application
* To get end-user support for some other Mozilla or Mozilla-related application
* To get developer documentation
* To file a bug

I tend to think that the front page of mozilla.org should get these people
to their destination as quickly as possible: the Firefox or Thunderbird
download page, devmo, SUMO, and bugzilla.

I'll also note that none of the mockups had a search feature. This seems to
be a major misstep: I'm pretty sure there's a way to set up a google search
for the various mozilla websites (*.m.o, *.m.c), and if people are coming to
www.mozilla.org to find a particular topic, searching is going to be the
easiest way of getting them there.

--BDS

davidwboswell

Mar 20, 2009, 3:27:10 PM3/20/09
Thanks for your feedback. Some responses below.

> I've been watching these meeting notes go by with passive interest, but
> after reading these I thought I'd comment: the current designs seem to try
> to present "What Mozilla Is" at the expense of "What is the user trying to
> accomplish".

Unlike mozilla.com which has a very clear use case (we want people to
download Firefox) there isn't as clear a purpose for mozilla.org. We
have written up a set of use cases at:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mozilla.org:Big_Picture#Use_Cases

So this runs the gamut from an experienced community member wanting to
find a certain policy to a person completely unfamiliar with Mozilla
learning what we are doing and why they should care. I think this
means we need to balance the portal part of the site with the What
Mozilla Is part. If you think we are going too far in one direction
or another, that's helpful feedback.

> Do we have statistics about people coming towww.mozilla.orgcurrently? Are

> they trying to download Firefox? Thunderbird? Submit bugs? Find something
> about the Mozilla education initiative or other things that are recent news?

We do have some statistics, although mozilla.org doesn't receive the
same stats attention as other community sites. Part of the problem
with looking at existing stats is that there's a lot of material
missing on the site now, so we have no idea if people want it or how
they interact with it. For example, the Mozilla education initiative
information is something that doesn't really exist now on the site.

> I imagine, without any data, that most people coming towww.mozilla.orgare
> actually looking for one the following things:
>
> * To download Firefox
> * To get end-user support for Firefox
> * To download some other Mozilla or Mozilla-related application
> * To get end-user support for some other Mozilla or Mozilla-related application

A lot of people are coming to the site to look for projects and
support and we want to make these resources easy to find. I think the
next round of designs will be a step in this direction.

> * To get developer documentation
> * To file a bug

I think that the developer function of mozilla.org has decreased
greatly over the years with MDC and other sites like QMO taking over
much of this role. We do want people to be able to find these
resources from www.mozilla.org, but I think it makes sense to have the
site have less of a developer focus than it did before (since the site
was exclusively developer focused originally it makes sense that there
will be less developer information with a wider focus).

> I'll also note that none of the mockups had a search feature. This seems to
> be a major misstep:

Concept #2 has a search feature. Although the other concepts don't,
we will certainly include a search feature in the final version.

If you have more thoughts or suggestions, I'll be interested to hear.

David

Robert Kaiser

Mar 22, 2009, 10:55:34 AM3/22/09
Benjamin Smedberg wrote:
> * To download Firefox
> * To get end-user support for Firefox
> * To download some other Mozilla or Mozilla-related application
> * To get end-user support for some other Mozilla or Mozilla-related application
> * To get developer documentation
> * To file a bug
>
> I tend to think that the front page of mozilla.org should get these people
> to their destination as quickly as possible: the Firefox or Thunderbird
> download page, devmo, SUMO, and bugzilla.

You left out the destinations for downloading other Mozilla or
Mozilla-related applications as well as end-user support for those.
Unfortunately, we don't have more than the projects list that we even
know of those projects, and anything else than SUMO for Firefox, none
has a good end-user support story (yet), I believe, so I think all we
can do is pointing to the projects list. And pointing to the
Firefox/Thunderbird home pages should actually be enough, as they both
include the download buttons, but people might not look for downloads
but other info about those apps.

I think one other point is
* To find out what Mozilla is

and we really should tell them more than just "download Firefox", as
that wouldn't be the truth. There is no other (reasonable) site to show
the whole organization Mozilla is. After all, "mozilla.org" even means
"Mozilla organization" ;-)

And I'm not so sure about the "To file a bug" use case, but the
developer doc one is pretty important, as when I want to get info/docs
about any other FLOSS software, I usually go to their (.org) project
homepage and look for a documentation section - I fully expect that to
be the case for people from other projects and Mozilla(.org).

Robert Kaiser

Benjamin Smedberg

Mar 22, 2009, 8:35:39 PM3/22/09
On 3/20/09 3:27 PM, davidwboswell wrote:

> So this runs the gamut from an experienced community member wanting to
> find a certain policy to a person completely unfamiliar with Mozilla
> learning what we are doing and why they should care. I think this
> means we need to balance the portal part of the site with the What
> Mozilla Is part. If you think we are going too far in one direction
> or another, that's helpful feedback.

I think there's probably a distinct difference between the www.mozilla.org
homepage and the rest of the content on the site. AFAICT there is general
agreement about what kind of content goes where (developer docs to devmo,
user docs to sumo, policy docs and overview docs on m.o). What interests me
is more what people are actually looking for when they come to the homepage,
and getting people to that content.

Certainly some people might be there to figure out what Mozilla is, and I
don't want to minimize that use... but if 35% are coming to download a
product and 40% are coming for user support, I think the design of the front
page should specifically reflect that.

> We do have some statistics, although mozilla.org doesn't receive the
> same stats attention as other community sites. Part of the problem
> with looking at existing stats is that there's a lot of material
> missing on the site now, so we have no idea if people want it or how
> they interact with it. For example, the Mozilla education initiative
> information is something that doesn't really exist now on the site.

The most important statistic is probably what people currently type in the
searchbox at www.mozilla.org. Is that data available?

>> * To get developer documentation
>> * To file a bug
>
> I think that the developer function of mozilla.org has decreased
> greatly over the years with MDC and other sites like QMO taking over
> much of this role. We do want people to be able to find these
> resources from www.mozilla.org, but I think it makes sense to have the
> site have less of a developer focus than it did before (since the site
> was exclusively developer focused originally it makes sense that there
> will be less developer information with a wider focus).

Not arguing with the notion that "developers content should be hosted at
developer.mozilla.org". It just seems that QMO and www.mo and SUMO and devmo
are really all facets the same website, and it seems that in some way
www.mozilla.org is the "home" page for all of them.

--BDS

davidwboswell

Mar 23, 2009, 11:43:08 AM3/23/09
> Certainly some people might be there to figure out what Mozilla is, and I
> don't want to minimize that use... but if 35% are coming to download a
> product and 40% are coming for user support, I think the design of the front
> page should specifically reflect that.

Project information will be highlighted on the new home page. Another
round of designs will be posted this week, so take a look and let us
know what you think.

As for support, based on my reading of support requests that come in
on the webmaster address, people mostly end up on www.mozilla.org
looking for support information when they can't find contact
information on SUMO. I think it would be preferable to make it easier
for people to contact someone from SUMO than to highlight support
information on www.mozilla.org (to put it another way, since Firefox
links to SUMO I don't think the issue is sending people to SUMO).

> The most important statistic is probably what people currently type in the
> searchbox atwww.mozilla.org. Is that data available?

I think taking a closer look at available stats is a great idea. I'm
not sure about making this public though -- I'd suggest asking Ken
about this before we do anything.

> Not arguing with the notion that "developers content should be hosted at

> developer.mozilla.org". It just seems that QMO andwww.moand SUMO and devmo
> are really all facets the same website, and it seems that in some waywww.mozilla.orgis the "home" page for all of them.

I think that is a good way to think of the site as a home page for
these resources. The problem though is that there are a lot of sites
in the community and not everything can be featured on the home page
so we'll have to make some choices.

David