Daala plans?

Henri Sivonen

Mar 20, 2012, 5:57:55 AM3/20/12
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
I'm just curious:
Is there an expected timeline for when Daala is expected to be ready
(for some definition of "ready")?
What's the deal with the code being under GPLv2 or later? That seems
very odd considering that GPL-only doesn't work for our own policies
and GPL-only is bad if we want other vendors to adopt Daala.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsiv...@iki.fi

Timothy B. Terriberry

Mar 20, 2012, 8:33:40 AM3/20/12
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Henri Sivonen wrote:
> I'm just curious:
> Is there an expected timeline for when Daala is expected to be ready
> (for some definition of "ready")?

It's too early to say at this point. A good deal of that depends on how
successful some of our experiments are, and for that we just don't know
the answers yet.

For reference, we started CELT in November 2007, and SILK was started
somewhat earlier. We did not freeze the (combined) Opus bitstream until
January 2011. It is currently still not through the review process
required to publish an RFC. Of course, for a good bit of that time none
of the core CELT developers had doing this stuff as our day jobs, and a
good bit of time was lost dealing with the standardization process and
the complexities of multiple parties holding IPR. Those last two
concerns are still very much an issue if you would like to move quickly.

> What's the deal with the code being under GPLv2 or later? That seems
> very odd considering that GPL-only doesn't work for our own policies
> and GPL-only is bad if we want other vendors to adopt Daala.

The final codec will be BSD, like every other Xiph codec. The code as it
exists today is a long way from being final.

duvell...@gmail.com

Mar 20, 2012, 9:33:18 PM3/20/12
to mozilla-...@lists.mozilla.org
A question, at this stage... Has anyone outside xiph helped with the coding of this codex?

Timothy B. Terriberry

Mar 20, 2012, 9:54:52 PM3/20/12
duvell...@gmail.com wrote:
> A question, at this stage... Has anyone outside xiph helped with the coding of this codex?

"Outside Xiph" is a pretty amorphous concept, since Xiph has no
employees and no formal membership requirements. But at this stage, in
terms of actual code written, I think it's pretty safe to say, "No."
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted