Firefox and Pipewire

Charles Robertson

Mar 17, 2021, 12:42:03 AM3/17/21
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi,

I'm trying to find information on how Firefox uses Pipewire. We currently package Firefox ESR with a Pipewire patch and I'd like to find out how this patch is being exercised. It seems to have to do with screen sharing. I found this web page that seems to test this but I'm not sure if it is. https://mozilla.github.io/webrtc-landing/gum_test.html

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you.

Charles Robertson
SUSE - Software Engineer

Nils Ohlmeier

Mar 17, 2021, 12:48:58 AM3/17/21
to Charles Robertson, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Hi Charles,

Firefox has some degree of Pipewirre support in its source code https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/search?q=pipewire&path= <https://searchfox.org/mozilla-central/search?q=pipewire&path=>
Looks like RedHat is actively maintaining that, as recently as this year.

Personally I don’t know enough about Pipewire to know what it is exactly used for, but it appears mostly in the context of screen capturing.
Maybe you can point us at the patch your maintaining on your end to give us an idea what it is for.

And yes you should be able to do a very basic screen share test on the gum_test page you linked to.

Best
Nils Ohlmeier

signature.asc