Review of audio codec guide docs requested

Eric Shepherd (Sheppy)

Jun 10, 2019, 11:45:43 AM6/10/19
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
I’ve recently finished writing up a basic guide to audio codecs as well as
a guide to audio concepts, and would appreciate it if some engineering
folks could review them and either correct any mistakes by editing the
content, or by emailing me with corrections that need to be made.

Once that’s done, these will be key articles in our media documentation, so
I want to be sure they’re accurate.

The articles currently awaiting review:

Audio codec guide:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Media/Formats/Audio_codecs
Digital audio concepts:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Media/Formats/Video_concepts

Thanks in advance!

Eric Shepherd
Senior Technical Writer
MDN Web Docs <https://developer.mozilla.org/>
Blog: https://www.bitstampede.com/

Andreas Pehrson

Jun 10, 2019, 12:21:31 PM6/10/19
to Eric Shepherd (Sheppy), dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Wow, great work! I did a bit of skimming and it looks good. I'll need to
read it through thoroughly to learn a thing or two.

You might want to include G.711 in the list of audio codecs, since that's
one of the two codecs (G.711 and Opus) mandated by the webrtc spec, [1].
There's also [2] for suggested audio codecs for (telco, pretty much)
interop.

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7874
[2] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7875

On Mon, Jun 10, 2019 at 5:45 PM Eric Shepherd (Sheppy) <
eshe...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> I’ve recently finished writing up a basic guide to audio codecs as well as
> a guide to audio concepts, and would appreciate it if some engineering
> folks could review them and either correct any mistakes by editing the
> content, or by emailing me with corrections that need to be made.
>
> Once that’s done, these will be key articles in our media documentation, so
> I want to be sure they’re accurate.
>
> The articles currently awaiting review:
>
> Audio codec guide:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Media/Formats/Audio_codecs
> Digital audio concepts:
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Media/Formats/Video_concepts

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Media/Formats/Audio_concepts I
guess.

> Thanks in advance!
>

> Eric Shepherd
> Senior Technical Writer
> MDN Web Docs <https://developer.mozilla.org/>
> Blog: https://www.bitstampede.com/

Timothy B. Terriberry

Jun 10, 2019, 2:32:52 PM6/10/19
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Eric Shepherd (Sheppy) wrote:
> Once that’s done, these will be key articles in our media documentation, so
> I want to be sure they’re accurate.

When would you like to have feedback by?

Eric Shepherd (Sheppy)

Jun 12, 2019, 5:23:35 PM6/12/19
to dev-...@lists.mozilla.org, Timothy B. Terriberry
No terrible rush although it would be nice to get this wrapped up. It does
not have to be done before the all-hands but I figured it could be
something people read over on the plane or something if they need something
to do. :)

On June 10, 2019 at 2:32:50 PM, Timothy B. Terriberry (
tterr...@mozilla.com) wrote:

When would you like to have feedback by?

Eric Shepherd (Sheppy)

Jun 12, 2019, 5:24:27 PM6/12/19
to Andreas Pehrson, dev-...@lists.mozilla.org
Yeah, those will get added soon. Good catch!