Status of Discourse issues

Janet Swisher

May 23, 2017, 4:21:35 PM5/23/17
to dev-mdc, dev...@lists.mozilla.org, mozil...@lists.mozilla.org
plan for fixing in Q3 or Q4.

Thanks for everyone's feedback on the Discourse "mailing list parity"
issues.

Below is the current status of the issues that we identified as
problematic for migrating the public MDN mailing lists to Discourse.

=Simplify email-out to support responding inline

notification emails, which makes replying inline significantly easier.
(Jeff Atwood: "The HTML email was in a giant table for /zero good
reasons/." [emphasis in original]) Leo is also planning to remove more
clutter[2] from the notification emails in Q3.

=Support inviting recipients to topic by copying them on email

Workaround: Create the topic via email, and then separately email other
recipients a link to the Discourse topic.

release-after-next of Discourse[1], to be delivered probably in Q3 or Q4.

=Fix incorrect threading with email-in replies

and Nylas. In Thunderbird, replies can get separated from their initial
post, but otherwise thread together. Work is in progress to fix this, to
be completed in Q3.

=Expose other recipients of pm

Fixing it depends on upstream work to be delivered in Q3 or Q4[1] (same
as inviting recipients by copying)

If anyone wants to follow along, comment on, or help with Discourse
issues, they are being tracked in a Kanban board[3]. The ones that
affect things we've talked about are tagged with "mdn".

[1] https://meta.discourse.org/t/discourse-version-1-9/61289
[2] https://github.com/mozilla/discourse/issues/51
[3] https://github.com/mozilla/discourse/projects/1
--