Updating mailing list links on

Janet Swisher

Jun 19, 2017, 12:46:01 PM6/19/17
to m...@mozilla-community.org, dev-mdc
One of the tasks we have to do before completely switching from mailing
lists to Discourse is to update all the pages on MDN that reference the
mailing lists so that they point to the Discourse forum instead. Some of
these are textual links, and some are generated by macros.

On 6/19/17 09:48, Chris Mills wrote:
> [chrismills] chrismills
> <https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/u/chrismills>
> June 19
>
> Hello all,
>
> Last week, I:
>
> * Updated the communitybox, discussionlist, and topicbox macros to
> reference the new discourse category, rather than the outdated
> mailing lists/newsgroups:
> https://github.com/mozilla/kumascript/pull/213

I updated all the English pages I could find that had textual links to
the mailing lists. Waiting for your PR to go to production so I can
update all pages that use those macros.

I will need help with updating all the translated pages that have links
to mailing lists or use those macros. There are 33 locales that need to
have pages to be updated. I have a spreadsheet that tracks those pages,
so localizers don't have to go find them. I will send out another
message when I think we're ready to start updating those pages.

--

Janet Swisher <mailto:jREMOVE...@mozilla.com>
Mozilla Developer Network <https://developer.mozilla.org>

Sebastian Zartner

Jul 6, 2017, 4:52:31 PM7/6/17
to Janet Swisher, dev-mdc, m...@mozilla-community.org
Hi Janet,

it would be good if you provided a list of the pages you changed, so
localizers can update them accordingly.

Sebastian

Danielle Vincent

Jul 6, 2017, 5:02:36 PM7/6/17
to Sebastian Zartner, dev-mdc, Janet Swisher, m...@mozilla-community.org
If possible, it would be great to include a link to the newsletter page
there too: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/newsletter/developer/
--

******************************
*Danielle A. Vincent*

“Concentrate all your thoughts upon the work in hand. The Sun's rays do not
burn until brought to a focus.” - Alexander Graham Bell

Follow @MozDevNet <http://twitter.com/mozdevnet> on Twitter
Subscribe to the Mozilla developer newsletter
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/newsletter/developer/>

Janet Swisher

Jul 10, 2017, 11:31:28 AM7/10/17
to Sebastian Zartner, dev-mdc, m...@mozilla-community.org
I have a little list, here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14qMHA0DZ140lxAmoIodMLyiHTC8cK-WwRMKGfRRpYR4/edit?usp=sharing

I've even created a tab per locale for convenience. (If you can't access
the spreadsheet, email me, and I'll send you a list of pages to be
updated for your locale.)

I've been waiting to share this because I'm waiting for Chris's updates
to the CommunityBox and TopicBox macros to go into production. As far as
I can tell, they haven't yet. A lot of the pages just need those macros
refreshed.

John Whitlock

Jul 10, 2017, 5:08:06 PM7/10/17
to Janet Swisher, dev-mdc, Sebastian Zartner, m...@mozilla-community.org
The new CommunityBox went into production today. - John

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Janet Swisher <jswi...@mozilla.com>

smitco

Jul 10, 2017, 5:11:10 PM7/10/17
to John Whitlock, Janet Swisher, dev-mdc, Sebastian Zartner, m...@mozilla-community.org
What do I need to do to get off this ailing list . I have submitted 5 requests .
Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 5:07 PM, John Whitlock <jwhi...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> The new CommunityBox went into production today. - John On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Janet Swisher wrote: > I have a little list, here: > > https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14qMHA0DZ140lxAmoIodM > LyiHTC8cK-WwRMKGfRRpYR4/edit?usp=sharing > > I've even created a tab per locale for convenience. (If you can't access > the spreadsheet, email me, and I'll send you a list of pages to be updated > for your locale.) > > I've been waiting to share this because I'm waiting for Chris's updates to > the CommunityBox and TopicBox macros to go into production. As far as I can > tell, they haven't yet. A lot of the pages just need those macros refreshed. > > > > On 7/6/17 16:51, Sebastian Zartner wrote: > >> Hi Janet, >> >> it would be good if you provided a list of the pages you changed, so >> localizers can update them accordingly. >> >> Sebastian >> >> On 19 June 2017 at 18:45, Janet Swisher wrote: >> >>> One of the tasks we have to do before completely switching from mailing >>> lists to Discourse is to update all the pages on MDN that reference the >>> mailing lists so that they point to the Discourse forum instead. Some of >>> these are textual links, and some are generated by macros. >>> >>> >>> On 6/19/17 09:48, Chris Mills wrote: >>> >>>> [chrismills] chrismills >>>> >>>> June 19 >>>> >>>> Hello all, >>>> >>>> Last week, I: >>>> >>>> * Updated the communitybox, discussionlist, and topicbox macros to >>>> reference the new discourse category, rather than the outdated >>>> mailing lists/newsgroups: >>>> https://github.com/mozilla/kumascript/pull/213 >>>> >>>> I updated all the English pages I could find that had textual links to >>> the >>> mailing lists. Waiting for your PR to go to production so I can update >>> all >>> pages that use those macros. >>> >>> I will need help with updating all the translated pages that have links >>> to >>> mailing lists or use those macros. There are 33 locales that need to have >>> pages to be updated. I have a spreadsheet that tracks those pages, so >>> localizers don't have to go find them. I will send out another message >>> when >>> I think we're ready to start updating those pages. >>> >>> >>> -- >>> >>> Janet Swisher >>> Mozilla Developer Network >>> Community Strategist >>> >>> ____________________________________________________________ >>> _____________ >>> dev-mdc discussions are moving to Discourse. >>> Join the MDN category at https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/c/mdn >>> Unsubscribe: https://lists.mozilla.org/?options/dev-mdc >>> MDN contributor guide: http://bit.ly/ContributorGuide >>> >> > -- > > Janet Swisher > Mozilla Developer Network > Community Strategist > > _________________________________________________________________________ > dev-mdc discussions are moving to Discourse. > Join the MDN category at https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/c/mdn > Unsubscribe: https://lists.mozilla.org/?options/dev-mdc > MDN contributor guide: http://bit.ly/ContributorGuide > _________________________________________________________________________ dev-mdc discussions are moving to Discourse. Join the MDN category at https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/c/mdn Unsubscribe: https://lists.mozilla.org/?options/dev-mdc MDN contributor guide: http://bit.ly/ContributorGuide @mozilla.com> @mozilla.com> @mozilla.com> @mozilla.com>

Janet Swisher

Jul 10, 2017, 5:55:10 PM7/10/17
to John Whitlock, dev-mdc, Sebastian Zartner
Is there an ETA on the TopicBox?

Or should they all be converted to use CommunityBox? (I am unclear on
why we have both.)

On 7/10/17 17:07, John Whitlock wrote:
> The new CommunityBox went into production today. - John
>
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 10:31 AM, Janet Swisher <jswi...@mozilla.com
> <mailto:jswi...@mozilla.com>> wrote:
>
> I have a little list, here:
>
> https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14qMHA0DZ140lxAmoIodMLyiHTC8cK-WwRMKGfRRpYR4/edit?usp=sharing
> <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14qMHA0DZ140lxAmoIodMLyiHTC8cK-WwRMKGfRRpYR4/edit?usp=sharing>
>
> I've even created a tab per locale for convenience. (If you can't
> access the spreadsheet, email me, and I'll send you a list of
> pages to be updated for your locale.)
>
> I've been waiting to share this because I'm waiting for Chris's
> updates to the CommunityBox and TopicBox macros to go into
> production. As far as I can tell, they haven't yet. A lot of the
> pages just need those macros refreshed.
>

> On 7/6/17 16:51, Sebastian Zartner wrote:
>
> Hi Janet,
>
> it would be good if you provided a list of the pages you
> changed, so
> localizers can update them accordingly.
>
> Sebastian
>
> On 19 June 2017 at 18:45, Janet Swisher <jswi...@mozilla.com
> <mailto:jswi...@mozilla.com>> wrote:
>
> One of the tasks we have to do before completely switching
> from mailing
> lists to Discourse is to update all the pages on MDN that
> reference the
> mailing lists so that they point to the Discourse forum
> instead. Some of
> these are textual links, and some are generated by macros.
>

> On 6/19/17 09:48, Chris Mills wrote:
>
> [chrismills] chrismills
> <https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/u/chrismills
> <https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/u/chrismills>>
> Janet Swisher <mailto:jREMOVE...@mozilla.com
> <mailto:jREMOVE...@mozilla.com>>
> Mozilla Developer Network <https://developer.mozilla.org>
> Community Strategist

> dev-mdc discussions are moving to Discourse.
> Join the MDN category at
> https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/c/mdn
> Janet Swisher <mailto:jREMOVE...@mozilla.com
> <mailto:jREMOVE...@mozilla.com>>
> Mozilla Developer Network <https://developer.mozilla.org>
> Community Strategist

> dev-mdc discussions are moving to Discourse.
> Join the MDN category at
> https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/c/mdn

John Whitlock

Jul 10, 2017, 6:29:03 PM7/10/17
to Janet Swisher, dev-mdc, Sebastian Zartner
Chris handled CommunityBox, TopicBox, and DiscussionList in the same code:

https://github.com/mozilla/kumascript/pull/213

- John

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Janet Swisher <jswi...@mozilla.com> wrote:

> Is there an ETA on the TopicBox?
>
> Or should they all be converted to use CommunityBox? (I am unclear on why
> we have both.)--
>
> Janet Swisher <jREMOVE...@mozilla.com>

Janet Swisher

Jul 10, 2017, 7:45:47 PM7/10/17
to John Whitlock, dev-mdc, Sebastian Zartner
OK, thanks for the clarification.

I also realized that many of the translated pages do not contain the
macros in question. I'm in the process of updating the spreadsheet to
cross off ones that don't need updating, and highlight ones that do. I
don't want to send anybody chasing after things that don't exist.

--

Janet Swisher <mailto:jREMOVE...@mozilla.com>